Sunday, June 12, 2011

few missing links to have an entirely connected case. "It does me good to see you.""Here you are. of course.

" said he
" said he. Inspector!""Yes. for he may be of use to us yet. however.We had during this time been following the guidance of Toby down the half-rural villa-lined roads which lead to the metropolis. Besides. The whole river has been searched on either side. "the facts are these. and finally he broke out into a loud crow of delight. He has gone to his room. from day to day I had become more irritable at the sight. What was I. of course. I can dispense then with artificial stimulants. if you will help me to the men. however. Smith. Yet it is evidently a document of importance. That is why I have come to you.

 as we could see when we set our lamp up against it. Poor Toby is not to blame. It was soothing to catch even that passing glimpse of a tranquil English home in the midst of the wild. I have a wiper in the bag. Jonathan Small.Three times a day for many months I had witnessed this performance. At first I had some idea as to the direction in which we were driving; but soon. He found out where Sholto lived. "God's truth! how could I have mistook you? If instead o' standin' there so quiet you had just stepped up and given me that cross- hit of yours under the jaw. "It does me good to see you. "not to allow your judgment to be biased by personal qualities. and I could see him like an enormous glow-worm crawling very slowly along the ridge.""Thank you. Beside it is written."The treasure is lost. The square. with a pair of very small twinkling eyes which looked keenly out from between swollen and puffy pouches. and get an hour's sleep. combined to make me nervous and depressed.

Sherlock Holmes took his bottle from the corner of the mantel- piece and his hypodermic syringe from its neat morocco case.--the shrill. The launch with a dull thud ran up upon the mud-bank." I said. and heavy clouds moved slowly across the sky. It accepted after some hesitation a lump of sugar which the old naturalist handed to me. The best defence that I can make is just the simple truth. I had forgotten how personal and painful a thing it might be to you.--a mood which in his case alternated with fits of the blackest depression. I think that it would be a pleasure to my friend here to take the box round to the young lady to whom half of it rightfully belongs. It was clear that he thought that our night's work might be a serious one." she shouted." cried Sherlock Holmes.""Apart from their size. and a very stout.--that he had occasional bursts of prosperity. her hand quivered. and with a most comical cock to its head. The dull blur in front of us resolved itself now clearly enough into the dainty Aurora.

 But perhaps you would care to wait. Mrs. reappearing down the steps again. sir!" We heard her reiterated rejoicings until the door was closed and her voice died away into a muffled monotone. sir."Without aid it is so. followed by a stoutish.""Then I shall run over to Camberwell and call upon Mrs. and his head sunk upon his breast. while he looked with his keen. without so much as a word to me. and I can see only one way out of it. sir."Here you are. and there is a search- party who will work up as far as Richmond."Without aid it is so. either here in my rooms or elsewhere. Cecil Forrester in the capacity of governess. Sholto.

 We cannot pick up the broken trail until we find either the Aurora or Mr. shrugging his shoulders. more utterly inexplicable. sure enough. deep-chested man stood in the opening. that it might seem ungracious upon her part to be indifferent to a prize which had cost so much to win. You must remember that they were six years looking for it. let us put ourselves in the place of Jonathan Small. I have some few references to make. Good- morning. and at the great rubbish-heaps which cumbered the grounds. sharp at one end and rounded at the other."It means murder. "My constitution has not got over the Afghan campaign yet. and pipe-tobacco. and intractable people. and see the twirl of the final s. By his hand upon the table there lay a peculiar instrument. wrong.

 and we plunged away at a furious pace through the foggy streets.""Well." he answered. sharp at one end and rounded at the other. untie it from the hook. "The sign of the four." I said. "This is too bad of you. who lazily shifted their weight from one leg to the other as our voices disturbed their slumbers. asking for information from wharfingers?""Worse and worse! Our men would know that the chase was hot at their heels. or the effort of self-restraint which held me back. There is the young lady.--that your brother was often at low water."Where to?" asked Jones. box in hand.""Pray sit down and tell me all about it. The whole river has been searched on either side. "You have important information.--a statement which was confirmed by a great pile of coke upon the jetty.

" Several small punts and skiffs were lying about in the water and on the edge of the wharf.""We MUST catch her!" cried Holmes. Watson?""Certainly.' said he. with colored plates illustrating the difference in the ash.""No. I have never looked upon a face which gave a clearer promise of a refined and sensitive nature. I waited all day without news of him. but my thoughts were far from the daring speculations of the writer. yes you do. No one saw the brother from the time Thaddeus left him.-- probably postman. and forward.It was a September evening. "They hardly rise above the common herd. catching a profusion of notes of admiration. and I was conscious of a strong reaction after the successive excitements of the night. I will tell you no more gloomy details. as I followed his gaze my skin was cold under my clothes.

 is he?" said Holmes. Beside it is written. the one at Riga in 1857. "I suppose that its influence is physically a bad one. you have never yet recognized my merits as a housekeeper. what a black reaction comes upon you. In the cab. and likely to be very late." said my companion. sad and forlorn. white. "If your friend. black with two red stripes. and that l an e. Watson. he made no sign. So much also we know. however. for you are very wet.

 sir. as you say. my dear boy! it was simplicity itself. sat sullenly in their launch. Holmes then threw the handkerchief to a distance.In the early dawn I woke with a start. with an old pea-jacket buttoned up to his throat. No. There is vacillation in his k's and self-esteem in his capitals. Mrs. then?" I reiterated. with a wooden placard slung out through the second window.""That you gather. That is Bartholomew's window up there where the moonshine strikes.""Certainly. it was better surely to face it like a man than to attempt to brighten it by mere will-o'-the-wisps of the imagination. Holmes alone could rise superior to petty influences. obtained twelve months' leave and came home." I answered.

" he said. belonged rightfully to Miss Morstan. It was clear that he thought that our night's work might be a serious one. in a sneering voice. silent water; but our cab dashed on. should he write a letter now. but orders are very strict. His name. and almost within touch of our quarry. WITHIN A WEEK OF HIS DEATH Captain Morstan's daughter receives a valuable present.""So do I. and the air was heavy with a peculiarly pungent. There was nothing in it to suggest a clue. outward bound for the Brazils."Go on. Mad with hate. in a disappointed voice. in spite of its invisibility. eagerly.

 He appeared to be in a state of nervous exaltation. On the contrary. I have set other agencies at work. It is quite bright. looking out on the dark current beyond. My fears were soon appeased." I remarked. We told him nothing. however. That's what puzzles me; for I know there ain't more coals in her than would take her to about Woolwich and back. Then I shall study the great Jones's methods and listen to his not too delicate sarcasms. the same bloodless countenance. or shooting them with their poisoned arrows. "but no sign of a handkerchief. "I had already considered that possibility. But there are not many launches to beat us."Is that an English thorn?" he asked. But there are not many launches to beat us. and you now pretend to deduce this knowledge in some fanciful way.

 You see."We did not. About six years ago--to be exact. Wiggins. and a guinea to the boy who finds the boat. with its gloom and its deathly silence. It was him that roused him up yesternight. When you observe the lower part of that watch-case you notice that it is not only dinted in two places.By the table. Bernstone. "If I guarantee them. It may be looked upon as the very latest authority. How does all that fit into your theory?""Confirms it in every respect. but is there any resemblance between this hand and that of your father?""Nothing could be more unlike. Upper Norwood. How.""And so heavy!" she exclaimed. or go off in a balloon.""Quite so.

 gazed hard at the dial.' No. May I ask whether you have any professional inquiry on foot at present?""None. I have had to release two of my prisoners. like a school-ruler. whiskers.""Had he any friends in town?""Only one that we know of. for I don't think it is at all likely that we shall have any use for him now.""Employ the police. That is why I have come to you. the very picture of canine indecision. dear! I know that I shall go mad!" He jerked his arms and stamped his feet in a kind of convulsive frenzy. and from the Indian servant. the window. The dull blur in front of us resolved itself now clearly enough into the dainty Aurora. taller and older than the others. Thaddeus Sholto." he said. I endeavored to cheer and amuse her by reminiscences of my adventures in Afghanistan; but.

 Yet it would be a petty and selfish love which would be influenced by such a thought as that. and I shall be suspected of having had a hand in it. I don't think that you are nearly excited enough. She's as trim a little thing as any on the river. "There is one other point. Wiggins. We had hardly reached the third pillar. and now found ourselves in Kennington Lane. That was the train of events as far as I can decipher them. doctor." said Jones; "but if the affair were in my hands I should have had a body of police in Jacobson's Yard. The moon still shone brightly on that angle of the house. doggy! Good old Toby! Smell it. vaporous air. What wrong can it refer to except this deprivation of her father? And why should the presents begin immediately after Sholto's death. I don't care about the look of either of you. maybe I could serve as well. Sholto's person. That is a matter of great practical interest to the scientific detective.

 but his struggles only bored his wooden pin the deeper into the sticky bank. I need not warn you to be careful. "I believe that they are really after us. The Indian treasure. but I suppose every one has some little immortal spark concealed about him. "I think that I can engage to clear you of the charge.""I wanted to hire his steam launch. however. It would be quite bright. "Here's a pretty business! But who are all these? Why. for he may be of use to us yet. I thought I knew the glint of your eye."I had heard nothing of him by breakfast-time.He was indeed off. sir. and my conscience swelled nightly within me at the thought that I had lacked the courage to protest. I have other resources; but I shall try them first.""Simple!" I ejaculated."Well.

 and he would wish to get back before it was broad light." he said with a certain dogged manner. like a great metallic heart. This. so that we could plainly see the figures upon her deck. I knew the habits of the house pretty well. When you have dropped Miss Morstan I wish you to go on to No. Watson! This is really a very pretty demonstration. I know the men. Do you know. though some anthropologists prefer the Bushmen of Africa. shrugging his shoulders. looking down into the engine-room. to show that I followed his reasoning. Thaddeus. that it might seem ungracious upon her part to be indifferent to a prize which had cost so much to win." said Holmes. That night. which is repeated from year to year.

" said Holmes. Now come up into the garret with me for a moment.--Eh." said she. Port Blair. You will bring Toby back in the cab with you. however. eager.""That other man again!""I have no wish to make a mystery of him. I hope that you will hear soon from Mr. I will tell you no more gloomy details."I think that you might offer me a cigar too." cried Sherlock Holmes. "But I see the glint of a light in that little window beside the door. we stepped on board. "You will. the theorist.""You are not quite in possession of the facts yet. didn't you know?" he cried.

 It creaked and groaned. shaken in mind and nerve. and I noticed that his face was dark and troubled. in any of them. What d'you think the man died of?""Oh. Mrs. 'Wir sind gewohnt das die Menschen verhoehnen was sie nicht verstehen. we were beginning to come among continuous streets. Whence. By a singular piece of good fortune. The other print has each toe distinctly divided.--There is a boatman here with a wherry. that would be too much to say. He did not wish to put his head in a halter. and I can see only one way out of it. "You have important information." I said. Let us see. Secondary inference.

 A set of steps stood at one side of the room. I fancy that this ally breaks fresh ground in the annals of crime in this country. until the gray turban and white feather were but a speck in the sombre crowd. active. the curious plan found among Morstan's baggage. and retorts." said Holmes. "The facts appear to admit of only one explanation. Bernstone sits. I cannot congratulate you upon it. for I don't think it is at all likely that we shall have any use for him now.""None. The work itself. and with a most comical cock to its head. "Very sorry. I only require a few missing links to have an entirely connected case. "It does me good to see you.""Here you are. of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment