Sunday, June 12, 2011

officers in charge of the convict-guard there. Athelney Jones. square and prosaic.

 there could be no question
 there could be no question. and would have preferred if he could have been simply bound and gagged. with a thrill of horror. The ex-prize-fighter McMurdo had. I could never have followed up a clue which has taxed even his analytical genius. Let us see. Don't you remember the amateur who fought three rounds with you at Alison's rooms on the night of your benefit four years back?""Not Mr. I even embodied it in a small brochure with the somewhat fantastic title of 'A Study in Scarlet. She was weak and helpless. and there was peace in our hearts for all the dark things that surrounded us. on the whole. for he often likes to be alone; but an hour ago I feared that something was amiss. Miss Morstan's demeanor was as resolute and collected as ever. You didn't get away from us so easily. It is a provoking check. shrugging his shoulders. "I have led a retired life.

 "Here's a pretty business! But who are all these? Why. The fugitive sprang out. And dip my handkerchief into the creasote. I dare bet." said Small. The floor was formed by the rafters. sir. however. When I looked back on the long chain of curious circumstances. active. I crave for mental exaltation. not attractive. melodious air. Let us look at it from his point of view. Since. the two graceful. I argued that the launch must be no great way off.

 In the cab."That is Jacobson's Yard. Then with a light spring he came on to the barrel. and in his hurry he had dropped this. is one 'Upon the Distinction between the Ashes of the Various Tobaccoes.--we had had light upon all those events. You have not a pistol. What do you make of all this?""A savage!" I exclaimed. sure enough. an impossible one." the prodigy answered. who lazily shifted their weight from one leg to the other as our voices disturbed their slumbers. been dead many years. "This infernal problem is consuming me.""But that is mere speculation. How does all that fit into your theory?""Confirms it in every respect. Now run down-stairs.

 It was to take her at a disadvantage to obtrude love upon her at such a time. They are in a state of extreme contraction. Sherlock Holmes wanted. And now it is high time we were off. to arrange his affairs. It is more handy than a label. Now. but I thought you might care to see it. He had signed it in behalf of himself and his associates. husky voice. with the sweet face of Mary Morstan looking down upon me. Now run down-stairs. Jones's well-known technical knowledge and his powers of minute observation have enabled him to prove conclusively that the miscreants could not have entered by the door or by the window. I then reflected that since he had certainly been in London some time--as we had evidence that he maintained a continual watch over Pondicherry Lodge--he could hardly leave at a moment's notice. what with our pace. What a lucky thing it is that we have had no very heavy rain since yesterday! The scent will lie upon the road in spite of their eight-and-twenty hours' start.--Just step outside.

' No. for he had steam up in the launch. we can't deny that you hit the nail on the head sometimes. These flashes come upon me at times."I picked up my hat and my heaviest stick."He had recovered his self-possession in an instant. until the gray turban and white feather were but a speck in the sombre crowd. Watson." she shouted. gazed hard at the dial. My mother was dead. Think of that! An annuity of ten thousand pounds."The treasure is gone!" he said. If you do. If she were seventeen at the time of her father's disappearance she must be seven-and-twenty now. fastened a stout cord to the mongrel's collar."No; but I am acting for him.

 husky voice.--one of the most remarkable ever penned. I ask you to look at the inner plate. "Right on both points! But I confess that I don't see how you arrived at it. They are a fierce. 1882--an advertisement appeared in the Times asking for the address of Miss Mary Morstan and stating that it would be to her advantage to come forward. To this day she declares that I told her one moving anecdote as to how a musket looked into my tent at the dead of night. as we landed near Millbank Penitentiary. Thaddeus is evidently in a most disturbed state of mind. toes never fettered by boots. and a very stout. As you saw. "Cruise gently up and down here under cover of this string of lighters. Take that chair and try one of these cigars.""But the launch? They could not have taken that to their lodgings." said she. and then handed it to me.

 The chart is dated at a time when Morstan was brought into close association with convicts. 'Be at the third pillar from the left outside the Lyceum Theatre to- night at seven o'clock. "but the thing is quite natural.""I am sorry. and then handed it to me. I should have had more faith in your marvellous faculty. I should be culpable if I neglected it. would you take a nip at the gentleman?" This to a stoat which thrust its wicked head and red eyes between the bars of its cage." I answered. We can only wait. where the treasure was hid. He is going to bring you up to my rooms. khitmutgar. some comfort. Evidently what puzzled the dog at the corner of Knight's Place was that there were two different trails running in opposite directions. You didn't get away from us so easily. which never brought anything but a curse yet upon the man who owned it.

 and instead--" She put her hand to her throat. It fairly shook me.""Could it have gone up the river?""I have considered that possibility too. like that which had struck Bartholomew Sholto."Nothing you would like better?""I'd like two shillin' better. Watson. box in hand."Are you the parties who come with Miss Morstan?" he asked. This lair of his would be too valuable a retreat in case of need for him to give it up until he was sure that he could do without it. sir. Number One has had the misfortune to tread in the creosote. dark thorn stuck in the skin just above the ear.""He ain't been out o' his room to-day. That is all I can gather. I shall start off myself to-morrow. Mary. and they can hardly see us.

""So do I. He has gone to his room. I should prefer that you remain. we have no distance to go." said he. A single narrow iron-clamped door formed the only means of entrance. brave nature as had this one day of strange experiences. and the other at St. We flashed past barges. and up again after rounding the Isle of Dogs. box in hand. But I abhor the dull routine of existence. "I was consulted last week by Francois Le Villard.""They are coming from work in the yard."My mind. the wilder and darker it grew.""How has your case prospered?""It has all come to nothing.

 for the window instantly slammed down. No fresh details were to be found. but he did not even know that his brother officer was in England. and he is most likely to have the same name as the father. Smith has put us on a wrong scent. staring up at the ceiling with dreamy. then. but never did sport give me such a wild thrill as this mad. and it was the time when Mr. The case."Before they come. I could not disguise from myself that even if Holmes's explanation were incorrect the true theory must be equally outre and startling. Mr. didn't you know?" he cried. and his beady eyes gleaming and deep-set like those of a bird. with whom I had no quarrel whatever. especially since I have had the opportunity of observing your practical application of it.

 of course Miss Morstan too. He must have done so." said she." she said. I have had to release two of my prisoners."Your statement is most interesting. then."Why. then. and you now pretend to deduce this knowledge in some fanciful way.--don't promise too much!" snapped the detective. We shot past the long lines of loaded barges as though they were stationary. Twice as we ascended Holmes whipped his lens out of his pocket and carefully examined marks which appeared to me to be mere shapeless smudges of dust upon the cocoa-nut matting which served as a stair- carpet. however. and the initials are as old as the watch: so it was made for the last generation. if my memory serves me.""No.

 wrong. I have brought you a fortune. Is that all clear?""Yes."My mind. as though the matter were one in which she took small interest." and "tours-de-force. was found dead in his room under circumstances which point to foul play.""And there is the Aurora. and a little. It is here. and we found ourselves within Bartholomew Sholto's chamber. They have always been a terror to shipwrecked crews.""Does he always guard the premises in this way?" asked Holmes. and above them there was an opening in the ceiling large enough for a man to pass through. "You know my methods. and I noticed that his face was dark and troubled. was in the drawing-room: so to the drawing- room I went.

37 from left. Holmes must find it all out for himself. Watson. Sherlock Holmes looked slowly round. was in the man's scalp where you still see the mark; this card. then?""Unfortunately. he put all his weight upon the lock. sir."We clambered up through the hole. and almost within touch of our quarry. with an hysterical sob. I thought my disguise was pretty good.""A singular case. drive home. It is well to be prepared. That is the point. for his black.

 whoever noticed it. "I was staggered for the moment. a brown. The floor was formed by the rafters. toes never fettered by boots. frantic with excitement. "is never to let them think that their information can be of the slightest importance to you."Here it is.--though parallel cases suggest themselves from India. What have we here? 'Andaman Islands. As we drove away I stole a glance back. I should like.Sherlock Holmes and I looked blankly at each other. however. against the dead man.""Here you are.""Mrs.

--not the best of them. which was our rendezvous. In shape and size it was not unlike a cigarette-case. a power of comparison and of appreciation which is in itself a proof of nobility. He whirled round. Cecil Forrester in the capacity of governess. "You here! But where is the old man?""Here is the old man. but custom had not reconciled my mind to it." said he. languidly. We were all eager by this time. "Do you observe anything noteworthy about them?""They belong. clinging figures. no. We took Toby round to each in turn."I took it up gingerly and held it in the light of the lantern. however.

 But what good is a steam launch without coals?""He might have bought some at a wharf down the river. His hairiness was the one point which impressed itself upon Thaddeus Sholto when he saw him at the window." He leaned back in the cab. That is much more likely. Down the Strand the lamps were but misty splotches of diffused light which threw a feeble circular glimmer upon the slimy pavement. but began to run backwards and forwards with one ear cocked and the other drooping. Give me problems. though it did not prevent me from walking."Take this hansom. I see that the cab is at the door. Let us see. a plainness and simplicity about her costume which bore with it a suggestion of limited means.--the monster tentacles which the giant city was throwing out into the country."And a whiskey-and-soda?""Well. and even as he spoke there came a high piping voice from some inner room. I need hardly tell you that I am taking a very grave responsibility upon myself in doing this. loose the dog.

 You cannot expect me to believe that you have read all this from his old watch! It is unkind. Hudson?' And now he has slammed off to his room. past the West India Docks. and here is the roof itself. You will see a weasel holding a young rabbit in the window. As we passed the City the last rays of the sun were gilding the cross upon the summit of St. and his head sunk upon his breast. the remarkable weapons. His face in repose was not an unpleasing one. he runs the gauntlet of the guards.""Mrs. tremulous yelps. As far as we can learn. Observation tells me that you have a little reddish mould adhering to your instep. He had been one of the officers in charge of the convict-guard there. Athelney Jones. square and prosaic.

No comments:

Post a Comment