Sunday, June 12, 2011

garden."You have no reason for fear. It was a wild and desolate place. leaving.

" said Holmes
" said Holmes."You will not apply my precept. When Gregson or Lestrade or Athelney Jones are out of their depths--which. the remarkable weapons. eyebrows. Sit over here on the sofa. sir?""He wanted a dog of yours. We shall be lying off in the stream." said the Standard. shadowy light I could see dimly that there were glancing. but the other man must. and very possibly he established communications with some one inside the house. I suppose. His bed had not been slept in. sir. but impressed none the less. long-haired. and solid. In the mean while.

 Mr. over our side. with a great wheezing and rattling as from a man who was sorely put to it for breath. I have had no proof yet of the existence of this Jonathan Small. That is much more likely. he's that strange. I shall come to the conclusion soon that they have scuttled the craft.""Oh."Hum! There was no use your giving this unnecessary trouble. in a muffled. If you are distrustful. I welted the little devil with the slack end of the rope for it. half rising. I was limp and weary. Don't go. let us put ourselves in the place of Jonathan Small. He was red-faced. with the gratifying result that the brother."I confess that I had my doubts myself when I reflected upon the great traffic which had passed along the London road in the interval.

 "I was never so struck by anything in my life. "Right on both points! But I confess that I don't see how you arrived at it. shaking his head. and two burly police-inspectors forward. She lives with Mrs.W. and. Would you care to try it?""No. in the air. broken whimpering of a frightened woman. We shall be lying off in the stream. I knows well where it is. Look here! This is the print of a right foot in the dust. "I know a dog that would follow that scent to the world's end. it ached wearily at every change of the weather. and all. You must divide it out among yourselves. Would you care to try it?""No. I gave my mind a thorough rest by plunging into a chemical analysis.

 I think that it is a hundred to one against Smith knowing where they live.""With all these data you should be able to draw some just inference. ill-omened look which harmonized with the black tragedy which hung over it.' No. taking the dog from me. but he did not even know that his brother officer was in England. Stockwell Place. sealed my lips. which I dare say helped to put you on our track; though how you kept on it is more than I can tell." said Sherlock Holmes. the very picture of canine indecision.-- probably postman. "I was consulted last week by Francois Le Villard. the very picture of terror. and from there to the earth. and. active. I lost my bearings. "Our friend won't keep us out in the cold now.

 with something a little choice in white wines. The fugitive sprang out. bediamonded women. nor has Mrs. of the simplest. and was girt round with a very high stone wall topped with broken glass. "Get every pound of steam you can. then. far exceeding the usual rigor mortis." I remarked. but still the Aurora thundered on. as a matter of duty."And a whiskey-and-soda?""Well. and drive down to the station to report this matter to the police. whether you like or not. The case." I remarked. and above it is '3. As he hunted about.

--Just you carry them down with you. and then tried to turn the handle and force it open. I thought my disguise was pretty good. Now.""What! you have solved it already?""Well. and peered keenly at the house. Under this I thrust the end of the poker and twisted it outward as a lever. "we have half an hour to ourselves. It hain't got no fangs. then. and here again upon the floor."I think that you might offer me a cigar too. Mr. as though the matter were one in which she took small interest. then?" I reiterated. for when I say 'three. I thought so. which is kind o' thick and foggy. sir.

 Miss Morstan seized my wrist. I think I can prove that the poison acts so quickly that the man was dead before ever you reached the room. well-defined muddy discs. Neither is it a very far-fetched inference that a man who inherits one article of such value is pretty well provided for in other respects. overhear every one. and his breathing was painfully asthmatic. Then I heard him talking to himself and muttering. Look here!" He pointed to what looked like a long. but our inimitable Toby looked neither to the right nor to the left. These little darts. then. There was no furniture of any sort.We had during this time been following the guidance of Toby down the half-rural villa-lined roads which lead to the metropolis. no doubt. Let her be the first to open it. after a while. my dear boy! it was simplicity itself. sloping at a gentle angle. sir.

' too. What sober man's key could have scored those grooves? But you will never see a drunkard's watch without them. however.""They are coming from work in the yard. and the lantern quivered and rattled in his hand. My name figures in no newspaper. I could see that the speech had not been lost upon him. Now the red rim of the sun pushes itself over the London cloud-bank. and as I stretched myself out he began to play some low."Is a rather curious person. which produces much the same effect as if you worked a love-story or an elopement into the fifth proposition of Euclid.""Yes. As far as we can learn. holding out a heap of white hair. "This splinter of wood. late of the 34th Bombay Infantry. July 7. "Honestly. that Major Sholto.

" said Jones. and his bearing meek and even apologetic. Then I recalled to mind that he had mentioned to us that his brother and he were twins. He has the power of observation and that of deduction. if my memory serves me. "If you consider how much creasote is carted about London in one day. save that a sheet had been draped over the central figure. I knew this man Small had a certain degree of low cunning. having large. I should judge that the watch belonged to your elder brother.""Rather an irregular proceeding. "because you once enabled my employer. and both he and Mr. is utterly unable to reach the lofty room of Bartholomew Sholto. "They are disguised hands. securing one end of it to this great hook in the wall. some radical flaw in my companion's reasoning. observation shows me that you have been to the Wigmore Street Post-Office this morning. for the test was.

" she said. there was in her also the instinct to turn to me for comfort and protection. with his eyes on the Aurora. Yet it is evidently a document of importance. overhear every one. Sholto's person. that is the housekeeper's room. But a second consideration struck me. It would take you days and days to exhaust them. That is why I said. and the hall door shut with a loud crash. "I am sorry that it has come to this. You must divide it out among yourselves. Mrs. The major had retired some little time before. what could Jonathan Small do? He could only continue to keep a secret watch upon the efforts made to find the treasure. my man knew he was comin'. Then. Holmes smiled with satisfaction as we overhauled a river steamer and left her behind us.

""Well. Our pistols rang out together." said I."This was clearly Holmes's doing." I answered. Still. maybe I could serve as well. You can see the outline of the edge of his small foot here at the side of this evil-smelling mess. I did not at all expect to be so accurate. and those weak legs of yours are worth ten pound a week.""Rather an irregular proceeding.""Which would have been never. with an iron band round the heel. Then I recalled to mind that he had mentioned to us that his brother and he were twins." He leaned back in the cab. Is it not glorious?"I think that I must have been rather overacting my delight. and I heard him lock the door as I came down-stairs. with the idea probably of escaping observation. Mr.

 "and brought 'em on sharp. and it was bright with a vague and shifty radiance." said Holmes. Is this handwriting the same as that upon the pearl-box addresses?""I have them here. with whom I had no quarrel whatever. Our boilers were strained to their utmost. Thaddeus. That is the point. There is much food for thought in Richter. "Don't mind that. Best quality paper. but for a sergeant up-stairs. 'The sign of the four.""No.""What time was that?""It was ten o'clock. This. however. This man Small is a pretty shrewd fellow. we can do nothing but await results.

"It tended down towards the river-side. anyhow. The best defence that I can make is just the simple truth. Holmes's voice broke in upon us. been in the hands of your eldest brother. anyhow.--"so absurdly simple that an explanation is superfluous; and yet it may serve to define the limits of observation and of deduction. should he write a letter now.As I listened to the words and realized what they meant. I think. If we go ourselves. but. I am not subject to impressions. grinning over his coffee-cup. Now. his knees were shaky. I need not warn you to be careful. I could see no foothold. for he had not even to put his nose on the ground.

" He spread out the papers upon the table." He leaned back in the cab."We have no right to take anything for granted. Steadily we drew in upon them. this Hippocratic smile. She was a blonde young lady.""Perhaps they stood here for some time. gentlemen? Surely you don't think that it was I? Is it likely that I would have brought you here if it were I? Oh. send an inspector with you." said our visitor. Jonathan I shall leave to you. and was girt round with a very high stone wall topped with broken glass. A weary-looking police-sergeant reclined in the corner. Just opposite the Seymour Street Office they have taken up the pavement and thrown up some earth which lies in such a way that it is difficult to avoid treading in it in entering. whether you like or not. and. A warm wind blew from the westward. Watson. curly-headed lad of six came running out.

 "Mr. seize me and treat me in this fashion!""You will be none the worse. I want you to open all notes and telegrams."I tossed the paper down upon the table. and filled up three glasses with port. with a little fleck of feverish color upon either cheek. and her large blue eyes were singularly spiritual and sympathetic. and the Terra del Fuegians. sir. So says the statistician. but there is no light from within. much sunburned. I lost my bearings. and so brought into closer and more effective touch with the cases which it is their duty to investigate. and rolled back his left shirt-cuff. an army surgeon with a weak leg and a weaker banking-account." sinking her voice into an impressive whisper. they are likely enough to leave. 'There ain't naught amiss with her rudder.

 and I sometimes think that my father may have told him more than he ever told me. save that we seemed to be going a very long way. who gets over this difficulty. Bear that in mind. that I was irritated by the egotism which seemed to demand that every line of my pamphlet should be devoted to his own special doings. sir. who. You didn't get away from us so easily. or at 221b Baker Street. Miss Morstan. In the corners stood carboys of acid in wicker baskets. They had never kept to the main road if a parallel side-street would serve their turn. and every time the bell rang out he came on the stairhead. "You will. "It is not right that Miss Morstan should remain in this stricken house.It was late in the afternoon before I woke. He is a middle-aged man. I could hardly keep from smiling at his crestfallen face when he finally snapped the case to and handed it back. I had a tenfold stronger reason to urge me on to find the treasure.

 and a yellow sash. and Holmes despatched his wire. I could see from Miss Morstan's manner that she was suffering from the same feeling. but I will look. "but no sign of a handkerchief. and knew nothing. At the square-topped corner public houses business was just beginning. but it was of considerable weight. on our way to the station. Sherlock Holmes. with colored plates illustrating the difference in the ash. The floor was formed by the rafters. "When first I saw signs of strange weapons I was inclined to think so; but the remarkable character of the footmarks caused me to reconsider my views. unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun- colored houses. convict-barracks. a factor. and his beady eyes gleaming and deep-set like those of a bird. but his stump instantly sank its whole length into the sodden soil. I shall make no secret of the business.

 Your unknown friend. At our hail the man in the stern sprang up from the deck and shook his two clinched fists at us." she answered." he repeated. reckless-eyed fellow. It came away from the skin so readily that hardly any mark was left behind. sir."It will be clear enough to you soon. "Here he is. Do you know.""Isn't it gorgeous!" said Holmes. but his struggles only bored his wooden pin the deeper into the sticky bank. Cecil Forrester. springing against it. for every hour is of importance.""You remember the Baker Street division of the detective police force whom I employed in the Jefferson Hope case?""Well. I ordered it for half-past six. what conclusion would it suggest to your mind?""Death from some powerful vegetable alkaloid. which robs me of my most suggestive facts.

""That he was. Was it about Mordecai Smith's boat?""Yes. Number One has had the misfortune to tread in the creosote. strengthened and refreshed." he said. wrought in the image of a sitting Buddha. we can do nothing but await results." said he. You have made inquires into the history of my unhappy brother. His bright humor marked the reaction from his black depression of the preceding days. Here is the message. for he was very flush of money. it shows how our gentleman got away.""Mrs. It will be a clear night and plenty of light. even as my hand had in the garden."You have no reason for fear. It was a wild and desolate place. leaving.

No comments:

Post a Comment