Tuesday, May 10, 2011

But its very beautiful.No. maggiore (next to the little finger).

 It was really very large and beautiful and there were fine trees in the grounds
 It was really very large and beautiful and there were fine trees in the grounds.She looked at me. Oh you should see what I did in the removal of three metres of small intestine and better now than ever. There are much worse wounded than me. Your friend is a doctor. Another night when you feel stronger. misunderstandings. You get along very well without me. I knew you was an American. I feigned acquaintance.I stopped to ask if you were better.After a while we said good-night and left. It is just bad administration. and the world all unreal in the dark and so exciting that you must resume again unknowing and not caring in the night. I wish that I was with the British. Are you badly hitIn the leg. and the major started us with red wine in mugs.

 They were a real mask. Would you like a drink of brandy How did you run into this thing anyway What were you trying to do Commit suicide Antitetanus please. Bacchus barred. I said. I said.That will be nice. I do. and one day at the end of the fall when I was out where the oak forest had been I saw a cloud coming over the mountain.Be good while Im gone. its smooth surface covered with brick dust. Henry. I thought she was very beautiful. Not in this war. thats nothing to how it will feel later. You must forgive me for talking so much. They have plenty of girls. Some one took hold of me under the arms and somebody else lifted my legs.

One of those shot by the carabinieri is from my town.And youll be backTo morrow. depended to a considerable extent on myself. We went on and passed the regiment about a mile ahead. Fillipo Vincenza. selfinflicted wounds.If I go back theyll make me get operated on and then theyll put me in the line all the time.All right. Sometimes still pleasant and fond and warm and breakfast and lunch. There was an English there. I said. cheekfitted. Manera said.Of course some of the bonds were not accounted for but the priest had all of the three per cent bonds and several local obligations. Ive known him before. and I stood outside his cell and I said as though I were going to confession. He was quieter now.

 smoking. One of their drivers came over to me.Four hundred twenty or minnenwerfer. Oh Jesus shoot me Christ shoot me mama mia mama Mia oh purest lovely Mary shoot me.There was great laughter from everybody. He drank a half tumbler of cognac.It doesnt finish. who said Miss Barkley was on dutytheres a war on. There were not enough stretchers.Priest every night five against one. then finally it climbed quite fast. They blew him all to bits. The Italian salute never seemed made for export. looking out at the snow falling slowly and heavily. I said. Do you think I would do right to marry Miss Barkleyafter the war of courseAbsolutely.No.

 The hall too.The day had been hot. I said.All right. There were some British batteries up with the third army. Tenente. Did you think I was Italian There were some Italians with one of our units.Tenente. of course.I didnt say anything. when I learned it.Dont I talk Italian good enoughI knew you was an American all right.Its very hard.Im so sorry. he said to me. I remembered. After some more wine I told the story of the jockey who found the penny.

 It was very edifying. This chap of yours was very anxious for me to see you.In the late summer of that year we lived in a house in a village that looked across the river and the plain to the mountains.Porta feriti I shouted holding my hands cupped. I wished I were in Milan with her. Some one came in and as the door opened I could see the snow falling. After some more wine I told the story of the jockey who found the penny. It was the first time I had ever heard her laugh.Priest wants us never to attack. and the world all unreal in the dark and so exciting that you must resume again unknowing and not caring in the night. Were not cloistered. As soon as I get the papers on these wounded Ill take you along the road and drop you with your medical officers. Outside it was nearly dark. Sometimes all niceness gone and glad to get out on the street but always another day starting and then another night. Outside it was getting dark. the captain said. in the infantry.

 wop. I had it in the car. They come and make you be a soldier again. Passini said. That should handle them. not good by. he said. please. I said. I looked at the tires carefully. The outlines of the cypresses that lined it were sharp and clear.Oh. His shoulder was smashed and his head was hurt. He had not felt bad but now the shoulder had stiffened. the captain said. The captain spoke pidgin Italian for my doubtful benefit. We crossed the brickyard.

 Get some more of that Antitetanus. jaundice. opened it. I said. wont you She looked up at me.Youre dirty. He had not had it but he understood that I had really wanted to go to the Abruzzi but had not gone and we were still friends. He offered me a glass of cognac. nights in bed. I forget exactly what they were. Rinaldi came in while I was undressing.In the legs. Tenente.Yes.Beyond the mule train the road was empty and we climbed through the hills and then went down over the shoulder of a long hill into a river valley. As far as I could make out the last mile or so of the new road where it started to level out would be able to be shelled steadily by the Austrians.Start in to eat.

 Id be glad to kiss you if you dont mind.Oh I love to tease you. Anybody can take their property. A shell had fallen and while we waited three others fell up the road.Dont be angry.You should not let us talk this way. I was riding in the first car and as we passed the entry to the British hospital I told the driver to stop. go to hell.At dinner I ate very quickly and left for the villa where the British had their hospital. locked in the trunk. He laughed. brought by Gordini who looked very white and sick. Bacchus or no Bacchus. walking under the trees. and really you are just like me underneath.Where is the gasoline park nowAt the same place. It came down through the forest in sharp turns.

 she said. Manera said. and if the car went especially fast it was probably the King. and went in under the shed and looked at each of the cars. And you do love meYes.Its not serious I hope. It is with them the war is made. At this point the priest left and I told the story about the travelling salesman who arrived at five oclock in the morning at Marseilles when the mistral was blowing. darling. SicilyHe should visit Amalfi. It would be the same when the offensive started.Sure. What hit youMe. the basins and the stoppered bottles. Rinaldi shook his head.Couldnt you take me no place elseIf it was closer to the front I could take you to a first medical post. shes very nice.

 Stop it.I wish there was some place we could go. Go on. father. Rinaldi. Sometimes still pleasant and fond and warm and breakfast and lunch. I said. Suddenly to care very much and to sleep to wake with it sometimes morning and all that had been there gone and everything sharp and hard and clear and sometimes a dispute about the cost.An outside nation cant make you be a soldier. said Rinaldi. They are too stupid. said Passini and spat on the floor. God. It is the captain. come. after all.He should have fine girls.

 You could not tell anything about them. the drivers walking along beside the mules wearing red fezzes. This chap of yours was very anxious for me to see you. Where did you meet her In the Cova Where did you go How did you feel Tell me everything at once. That is true. This chap of yours was very anxious for me to see you. We were in the second army.I took off my tunic and shirt and washed in the cold water in the basin. This is close to the front.The battery in the next garden woke me in the morning and I saw the sun coming through the window and got out of the bed. They take your sisters. that the office opened on. I like him. Bacchus. I could look down through the woods and see. I kept my arm where it was. It was quiet for a moment still.

 I would eat quickly and go and see Catherine Barkley. I was there and reading of it in the paper.If it wasnt that that happens to their families nobody would go to the attack.He walked across to the dressing station.Ciaou! he said. I lay still and let the pain ride. lay asleep on the other bed. and the world all unreal in the dark and so exciting that you must resume again unknowing and not caring in the night. Where did you go and what did you do Tell me everything at once. We go whorehouse before it shuts. One of their drivers came over to me. even in the ambulance business. Im Scotch. I will write you cards to my family in Amalfi.I ate the end of my piece of cheese and took a swallow of wine. They returned it with his things. baby.

 English goddess. his hands moving very fast and the bandage coming taut and sure. sometimes it backed on a turn. Ive seen you about. the trees along the road had small leaves and a breeze came from the sea. she said. The grappa was very strong. Goodnight. close behind the lines. Helen Ferguson. Thats where the money comes from.You have that pleasant air of a dog in heat. I thought I was coming back. he said. It might be good though. In a moment the blanket in front of the dressing station opened and two stretcherbearers came out followed by the tall Englishman.Whats wrong with your legIts not my leg.

Be serious. I am well. When I came back to the front we still lived in that town.Dont write anything that will bother the censor. He looked like a king. Another nurse was with her. baby How do you feel I bring you this It was a bottle of cognac. the line of the river that separated the two armies. You could stay with my family. Grappa.It was dark outside and the long light from the search lights was moving over the mountains.Dont go. I wanted to go to the Black Forest. Maybe you will get an English medal too. I undid the clasp of the gold chain and put it around my neck and clasped it. Tenente Gavuzzi asked. darling.

 Tenente.No. the orderly looking after us. Ill see the medical wallahs. I did not want to go there anyway. So I went to the jail. Rinaldi put away the bottle and we went down the stairs. Wait till I get cleaned up. winefully.Im awfully tired. At this point the priest left and I told the story about the travelling salesman who arrived at five oclock in the morning at Marseilles when the mistral was blowing.Some troops went out.Its very odd though. The officers all wore helmets; betterfitting helmets.Rinaldi was talking with the other nurse. warmed from the sun on the wall.The road was crowded and there were screens of corn stalk and straw matting on both sides and matting over the top so that it was like the entrance at a circus or a native village.

How are you.Captain doctor (interested in something he was finding).Not even for the beautiful languageNo.Wonderful.The forest of oak trees on the mountain beyond the town was gone. Drink that. The Austrian trenches were above on the hillside only a few yards from the Italian lines. It tells you about those priests. crossing out everything except. and I spoke Italian. SicilyHe should visit Amalfi. baby. Rinaldi poured another glass. He stopped the car and looked in through the hole behind his seat. The British had come with three ambulances and they had two men on each ambulance.I dont know. holding below the target and trying to master the jerk of the ridiculous short barrel until I could hit within a yard of where I aimed at twenty paces and then the ridiculousness of carrying a pistol at all came over me and I soon forgot it and carried it flopping against the small of my back with no feeling at all except a vague sort of shame when I met Englishspeaking people.

 cloudy with snowwater and running fast through the spiles of the bridge. The pain that the major had spoken about had started and all that was happening was without interest or relation.Im English. Rinaldi saluted.Kiss me.That is not good.How do you do Miss Barkley said. Now they have a guard outside his house with a bayonet and nobody can come to see his mother and father and sisters and his father loses his civil rights and cannot even vote.I have brought him in. I had it in the car. If youve got a fracture you dont want inflammation. This took place at B?ziers. For stupidity. Manera said he hoped it would come before the bombardment started. Passing where the shells had landed I avoided the small broken places and smelled the high explosive and the smell of blasted clay and stone and freshly shattered flint.Do we have to go on and talk this wayNo. At this point the priest left and I told the story about the travelling salesman who arrived at five oclock in the morning at Marseilles when the mistral was blowing.

 They wouldnt attack. I said.Ill just step out the door a minute. baby. Thats what its for. There were stretchers lifted and slid into the slings above. I wanted to go to the Hartz Mountains. The snow slanted across the wind.I see. like bridge.He wiped his hands on his jumper and grinned. said the major. The road climbed steeply going up and back and forth through chestnut woods to level finally along a ridge.WhereMilano. But its very beautiful.No. maggiore (next to the little finger).

No comments:

Post a Comment