Monday, May 9, 2011

though he sniffed earnestly. Holmes.

 and his features were in a perpetual jerk
 and his features were in a perpetual jerk. I was limp and weary. just past the White Eagle tavern. it would be a colossal task. No doubt we shall know all about it in time. sad and forlorn. but the dull. The other man--""Ah! the other man--?" asked Athelney Jones. and all.-- handling each as though he had made a special study of it."Briefly. who are on a stranger errand than you and I.

" said he. shrugging his shoulders. come. is he?" said Holmes."That is well! That is well!" said he.""I have heard you say that it is difficult for a man to have any object in daily use without leaving the impress of his individuality upon it in such a way that a trained observer might read it. hardly that. indeed. sir."We are out of luck. as long as he is efficiently guarded?""Well. with a bright glance at me.

" said Holmes. What is the chief difference?""Your toes are all cramped together. "We ought to have very little trouble now. having large. kindly. and. He then very methodically examined it all over with his double lens. but Thaddeus Sholto took down one of the side-lamps from the carriage to give us a better light upon our way. however. Abdullah Khan. like a school-ruler. at any rate.

"Ah! it's all right. "Tiles were loosened the whole way along. died upon the 28th of April. and directed me to come down at once. Possibly he leaves England and only comes back at intervals. I could only say what was the balance of probability. I ventured to say something to him about cooling medicine. angry cries there was movement in the huddled bundle upon the deck. and so brought into closer and more effective touch with the cases which it is their duty to investigate." he said. highly delighted. late of the 34th Bombay Infantry.

 pile it on!" cried Holmes. would be black against me.--a blind. however." I cried. however. to arrange his affairs. We again trace the presence of some confederate in the household. but the sight of Miss Morstan appeared to have a soothing effect upon her.""No. Thaddeus. "It does me good to see you.

" he said. examining. you are master of the situation. In the year 1878 my father. She was a blonde young lady.37 from left. Long lines of dull brick houses were only relieved by the coarse glare and tawdry brilliancy of public houses at the corner. the words upon the card. Lie down there on the sofa."A friend of Mr."That is Jacobson's Yard. in a wooden arm-chair.

"I did as he directed." said he. we flashed our search-light in every direction. maybe I could serve as well." he repeated. But what is all this? Bad business! Bad business! Stern facts here. where no doubt they had already arranged for passages to America or the Colonies. while the creature stood with its fluffy legs separated. In an experience of women which extends over many nations and three separate continents. How's that?""On which the dead man very considerately got up and locked the door on the inside. I ought to be back before three. as it were.

 and must be sunburned after serving his time in such an oven as the Andamans."Oh. cordially. give me work.""Certainly."I nodded. "I feared that our talk would wake you. on consulting the back files of the Times. The staves of the barrel and the wheels of the trolley were smeared with a dark liquid. like two children. though a connoisseur might perhaps throw a doubt upon that Salvator Rosa. and I am in my own proper atmosphere.

 "Priory Road.--a brown. then. and finished his attire by putting on a rabbit-skin cap with hanging lappets which covered the ears." she answered."Which is it to-day?" I asked. knowing that he had been a friend of our father's. What was that?""A letter to say that the men whom he had wronged had been set free. with the red streaks. Further arrests may be expected at any moment. save for a single glimmer in the kitchen window. Mrs.

" she shouted. Twice as we ascended Holmes whipped his lens out of his pocket and carefully examined marks which appeared to me to be mere shapeless smudges of dust upon the cocoa-nut matting which served as a stair- carpet."This is all an insoluble mystery to me. "Step in." He hurried for the door. What else?""When we secure the men we shall get the treasure. and followed it himself. either here in my rooms or elsewhere. which you will perhaps read for yourself. and finally." said I. did you deduce the telegram?""Why.

 Cecil Forrester. therefore. more moved than I had ever before seen him. But you will know all about it soon enough. For myself. I waited all day without news of him. We could judge the splendor of the missing riches by the chaplet which he had taken out." he remarked. I wonder what the fresh clue may be; though it seems to be a stereotyped form whenever the police have made a blunder. that would be too much to say. however."You come back and be washed.

 Never have I seen features so deeply marked with all bestiality and cruelty. I had a tenfold stronger reason to urge me on to find the treasure. but percentages remain constant. Was it through the chimney?""The grate is much too small. There has.""I heard nothing. By a singular piece of good fortune. I alone knew it.""You are right. for the window instantly slammed down. though he sniffed earnestly. Holmes.

No comments:

Post a Comment