Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Mary stop it. It was Miss Ferguson. I learn how to do it.

This is the third day
This is the third day. baby. Always with the carabinieri. Tell me.Leave him alone.He poured two glasses and we touched them. and then I heard close to me some one saying Mama Mia Oh. come. That night in the mess after the spaghetti course. It cost fifteen lire.Thank you very much.Very. he said.Theyll send you to a hospital. Bring a glass. So were all on very special behavior. Inside they were operating on all the tables.

 Would you like a drink of brandy How did you run into this thing anyway What were you trying to do Commit suicide Antitetanus please. E. bronzes looked like something. Nor for the beautiful uniforms. There is good hunting. Thats over for the evening. After a while the stream from the stretcher above lessened and started to drip again and I heard and felt the canvas above move as the man on the stretcher settled more comfortably. I wore one when we went up to the posts and carried an English gas mask. the bare ground was covered.You see Ive been leading a sort of a funny life. I will take you to call. Manera lit his lighter and passed it around. I had met two gunners from that lot. baby. the window open and the sunlight coming into the room.I felt it.I love you so and its been awful.

 He hoped the road would not jam.Yes. You must forgive me for talking so much. That is true. There were some British batteries up with the third army.A sergeant shot two officers who would not get out. I said.There is a class that controls a country that is stupid and does not realize anything and never can.There were small gray motor cars that passed going very fast usually there was an officer on the seat with the driver and more officers in the back seat. We saw their white uniforms through the trees and walked toward them. so she loves Scotland better than England.I was away for two days at the posts. I said. Every one laughed. Any frescoes were good when they started to peel and flake off. I saw the blanket open.I looked outside.

 Then the stretcher bearers took the man off the table. Rocca said. The tall English driver came around and looked in. She was not in the garden and I had to wait in the office of the hospital until she came down. I took her hands. sometimes it backed on a turn. She had slapped my face hard. I said. The forest had been green in the summer when we had come into the town but now there were the stumps and the broken trunks and the ground torn up. I handed it to Gordini. go to hell.I wanted to do something for him. He could have had anything he wanted if I would have known. Passini was dead. I must go. Passing where the shells had landed I avoided the small broken places and smelled the high explosive and the smell of blasted clay and stone and freshly shattered flint.I cut the cheese into pieces and laid them on the macaroni.

 We wont drop you again. I said.He should go to Palermo. I drove coming back and went fast with the empty car to find the man from Pittsburgh. I am well. and with the end of the summer. Ha! Ha! Ha! The captain spread his hand open.There were small gray motor cars that passed going very fast usually there was an officer on the seat with the driver and more officers in the back seat. But the little Scotch one is very nice. I went to the window and looked out. and relaxed. Nothing to do. First we passed the regiment.Yes. You will be good to me. He came back with a handful of roasted coffee beans. Some one came in and as the door opened I could see the snow falling.

 schutzen stock. I just tell you.If it wasnt that that happens to their families nobody would go to the attack. Rinaldi carried a holster stuffed with toilet paper. said the driver in Italian looking at the hernia man. The other officers were amused at the baiting.Wait a minute. I waked the orderly and he poured mineral water on the dressings. Those of us that were awake talked across the ward.Be good while Im gone. Then. I helped him down. and he came from Amalfi.All right.It was dark outside and the long light from the search lights was moving over the mountains.Four hundred twenty or minnenwerfer. I asked him if there was a big dugout where the drivers could stay and he sent a soldier to show me.

 They say if you can prove you did any heroic act you can get the silver. He ought to be able to do something. was my age. I will go now and bring her here. and I spoke Italian. The cars would be all right with their good metaltometal brakes and anyway. said Manera. I followed his hands with my eyes.Some of the officers went alone. It is the captain.What is there to eatWe have a little pasta asciutta.Had you been engaged longEight years. when they wouldnt attack and they shot every tenth manNo.Rinaldi went out with me. locked in the trunk. I must write some letters. The major was unhooking the forceps now.

 holding their chins close over the basin. as they fall from an icicle after the sun has gone. Today I see priest with girls.A sergeant shot two officers who would not get out.Fine. The little major looked at us furious.Look.I dont believe it. We were in the second army. I felt him in his metal box against my chest while we drove. in which you said things instead of playing cards.He stood up and put on his gloves. We passed a long column of loaded mules. she said. didnt youYes. They were big and shy and embarrassed and very appreciative together of anything that happened.Come on.

 My God what would a man do with a woman like that except worship her What else is an Englishwoman good forYou are an ignorant foulmouthed dago. dry and white in the sun. as they fall from an icicle after the sun has gone. I said.Most of them dont. Rome. I shouted to the driver. The dressing station was on the Austrian side of the river under the edge of the hill and stretcherbearers would bring the wounded back across the pontoon bridge. Well take you back with us. They were moderately clean.She was unclasping something from her neck. Orderly. She waved and I kissed my hand and held it out.I would like to go with you and show you things. The pain hasnt started yet. Im all right.It could not be worse.

 a few freshly washed. Dont be a bloody hero. Theres not really any war of that sort down here. and mark a cross on both legs. I say its rotten.Good Christ I said.No understand.Goodevening. cloudy with snowwater and running fast through the spiles of the bridge. jaundice.The major spoke to an orderly who went out of sight in the back and came back with a metal basin of cold cooked macaroni. I knew that I was hit and leaned over and put my hand on my knee. chewed. Tenente. He had not felt bad but now the shoulder had stiffened. doing things that hurt sharply and severing tissue Are you sureMe trying to lie still and feeling my stomach flutter when the flesh was cut. The lieutenant said I slipped the truss on purpose.

 You wont go awayNo. You will be decorated. It tells you about those priests. I did not care what I was getting into. then it pattered into a stream. The snow slanted across the wind. Your goddesses.I know it is bad but we must finish it.Did they scare you. I am an atheist. But I do with you. Passini was quiet now. I saw a third range of mountains. she said. He is a priest; he will appreciate it.She looked at me. He smiled.

 He bent over me. he said. He patted Gordini on the shoulder. He had written to his father that I was coming and they had made preparations.No. The offensive was going to start again I heard.He should have fine girls. The sun was going down and the day was cooling off. Genoa was the place to see the bad marbles.Do you want to very muchYes. I heard the machine guns and rifles firing across the river and all along the river. I had drunk much wine and afterward coffee and Strega and I explained. No blood brother and roommate. I went back and told the drivers I would get them as soon as the food came.Some troops went out.That will be nice. Passini was dead.

J started down the driveway. The only son of the American Ambassador. It was that which shook my faith. A shell had fallen and while we waited three others fell up the road.All right. if the war should end. The wine was bad but not dull. Another nurse was with her. It was not wide enough either to carry all the transport for an offensive and the Austrians could make a shambles out of it. I tried to breathe but my breath would not come and I felt myself rush bodily out of myself and out and out and out and all the time bodily in the wind. I said.Hello.Do they ever shell that battery Tasked one of the mechanics. When people realize how bad it is they cannot do anything to stop it because they go crazy. The window was open. Thats the end of it. It was hot walking through the town but the sun was starting to go down and it was very pleasant.

This is the third day. I took her hands.That was because it was first.Four for 105. and well see. It tasted of rusty metal. Bacchus or no Bacchus. He slapped the bed with his glove. Driving in convoy is not unpleasant if you are the first car and I settled back in the seat and watched the country. gentlemen.It belonged to a boy who was killed last year. The priest was good but dull. I said. It is one for The Lancet. Tenente. For stupidity. We caught them and passed them and turned off on a road that climbed up into the hills.

 It is very informative. He loved being a surgeon and we were great friends. Really. Passing where the shells had landed I avoided the small broken places and smelled the high explosive and the smell of blasted clay and stone and freshly shattered flint.Where is the gasoline park nowAt the same place. are youOh. Manera and Gavuzzi each went off with a load of wounded.Most of them dont. Halfway through the wine I did not want any more.They are big through the chest by measurement. Here at the brickyard we were sheltered from rifle or machine gun fire by the river bank. I went out swiftly. I watched her face.The next year there were many victories.Bassi wins. There are people who are afraid of their officers. and the frescoes on the wall and waited for Miss Barkley.

 and one day at the end of the fall when I was out where the oak forest had been I saw a cloud coming over the mountain. didnt IShe was looking at me in the dark.Ive heard about it. Some wore their steel helmets but most of them carried them slung from their packs. They were hospitals beyond the river. We two stopped talking and the captain shouted. The captain waved to me. They returned it with his things.Jesus Christ. NapoliThats enough. Youve been away a long time. In the meantime we were all at the mess.I lifted it to arms length and the strands cleared. thats nothing to how it will feel later. baby. I will write you cards to my family in Amalfi.Like the Tchecos.

 Tenente. The outlines of the cypresses that lined it were sharp and clear. There was an English there. Hang onto my neck. It looked wide and well made with a good grade and the turns looked very impressive where you could see them through openings in the forest on the mountain side. Now everything is arranged. There is no finish to a war. You get out and fall down by the road and get a bump on your head and Ill pick you up on our way back and take you to a hospital. and the world all unreal in the dark and so exciting that you must resume again unknowing and not caring in the night. it couldnt all go on. I looked at the board tables. Macedonias.There are no forks. My orderly had cut paper into strips and tied the strips to a stick to make a brush that swished the flies away. get me out of here. I said. One thing after another.

I was away for two days at the posts. went to the jail and asked to see the priest.Look at the bump.That will be nice. Theres not really any war of that sort down here. that the office opened on.I can come here though. The trunks of the trees too were dusty and the leaves fell early that year and we saw the troops marching along the road and the dust rising and leaves.You dont need to say a lot of nonsense. Go on tell me. I lowered it into the mouth. Manera said he hoped it would come before the bombardment started. It is a noble organization. Youve had it before. winefully.Thats what the priest said. He had always known what I did not know and what.

 said the priest.He wiped his hands on his jumper and grinned.Has there been any trouble getting parts I asked the sergeant mechanic. The lieutenant said I slipped the truss on purpose. The forest had been green in the summer when we had come into the town but now there were the stumps and the broken trunks and the ground torn up. he said. Ill wrap you up and dont bounce your head around. which every one ate very quickly and seriously. said Manera.No. Hes all right. The vineyards were thin and bare-branched too and all the country wet and brown and dead with the autumn. I sent a couple of army Zona di Guerra postcards. At this point the priest left and I told the story about the travelling salesman who arrived at five oclock in the morning at Marseilles when the mistral was blowing. Oh Jesus lovely Mary stop it. It was Miss Ferguson. I learn how to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment