Tuesday, May 10, 2011

disgraced and empty with the engine open and parts spread on the work bench

 are youOh
 are youOh.Bring good opera disks. Hes coming to see you. Im leaving now for a show up above Plava. falling and the soldiers marching and afterward the road bare and white except for the leaves.Wait a minute. It evidently made no difference whether I was there to look after things or not. Everybody hates this war. But the little Scotch one is very nice. Ive seen the holes. Where did you meet her In the Cova Where did you go How did you feel Tell me everything at once. No. lieutenant We wont get a chance to eat after this thing starts. the instruments shining in the light. but it was not Catherine. Shall attack!The priest nodded. Im awfully tired.

 Gavuzzi has your legs.One of those shot by the carabinieri is from my town. I sat now in the chair and an orderly of some sort looked at me disapprovingly from behind a desk while I looked at the marble floor.Truly I tell you something about your good women. My Austrian snipers rifle with its blued octagon barrel and the lovely dark walnut. They were a real mask.65 caliber with a short barrel and it jumped so sharply when you let it off that there was no question of hitting anything.I went along the narrow road down toward the river. Not in this ambulance business. Rinaldi put away the bottle and we went down the stairs. She put it in my hand. Its much cooler.Dont worry. The war was changed too. hung over the two beds. that the office opened on. You must forgive me for talking so much.

 ha! he said. blunt-nosed ambulances. an ambulance was waiting by the side door and inside the door. Bacchus. Goodnight. Goodby. For stupidity. she said. He hoped the road would not jam. It is disgraceful. Really.Im dreadfully sorry. I said. and his hair shone. darling. We are mechanics.Priest not happy.

 I love you.He wiped his hands on his jumper and grinned.Dont write anything that will bother the censor. We sat on the ground with our backs against the wall and smoked. one of the captains said.Yes.There are three others. He broke off. he said.Not even for the beautiful languageNo. You see Im not mad and Im not gone off. There was one smashed bridge across the river. I said. They carried wounded in and brought them out. Stretcher bearers came in all the time. had some coffee in the kitchen and went out to the garage.Bersaglieri.

 Nothing. A. hung over the two beds.He likes it. Then the major told the story of the eleven Czechoslovaks and the Hungarian corporal.Whats the matter nowNew rings. They had always cracked in other wars.Ill bring it to you.Dont you wish you could bellow like himHe bellows.I didnt carry anybody.What the hell. I dont go there any more. It has been put back again.Where were the Hartz Mountains anyway They were fighting in the Carpathians.You couldnt have sent me a noteNo. I said.Dont go.

 I heard the machine guns and rifles firing across the river and all along the river. I saw arched stone bridges over the river where tracks turned off from the road and we passed stone farmhouses with pear trees candelabraed against their south walls and low stone walls in the fields. They lifted me onto the table. Inexperienced.Bring Caruso. I will get you a copy. That is why we have this war. I always thought he was French. Theres no place to drop it.The adjutant. but instead we had Ii Generale Cadorna. Doesnt anybody work nowSince you are gone we have nothing but frostbites. There were some British batteries up with the third army. Everybody hates this war.Very.I sat in the reception hail of the villa.Youre a nice boy.

 He had to sign the proposition for the citation. The fields were green and there were small green shoots on the vines.Its Manera.We kissed and she broke away suddenly. Underneath we are the same.We might sit there just for a little while. keeping to the side. Another night when you feel stronger. Another night when you feel stronger.He poured two glasses and we touched them. A shell burst short near the river bank. Maria. Priest not happy. which was protected by a shoulder of the mountain.Do you like itVery much. great general but he looked like a man. His breath went away.

 Tell me all about it. I said. Ill clean this up a little.The room I shared with the lieutenant Rinaldi looked out on the courtyard. That made the bed damp and cool. painted gray and built like moving-vans. Fillipo Vincenza Bassi or Bassi Fillippo Vicenza had never touched a drop all evening and what was his name anyway He said was my name Frederico Enrico or Enrico Federico I said let the best man win. He had to sign the proposition for the citation.I saw Catherine Barkley coming down the hall. the major said. I knew I would not be killed.Good. They picked me up and took me into the dressing room.Very. Mr. there were some new hospitals. And you play it as well as you know how.

 We all sang. Manera and Gavuzzi each went off with a load of wounded. So I went to the jail. I could go to Spain if there was no war.The driver came out of the door with the papers for the wounded in the car. crossing out everything except. We went along the rough new military road that followed the crest of the ridge and I looked to the north at the two ranges of mountains.Were you there. I decided to go on upstairs. be selected by the infantry but we were supposed to work it out. Gordini stood up and went outside with me. They were big and shy and embarrassed and very appreciative together of anything that happened. Why do you get yourself woundedYou can make fun of the priest. Miss Barkley said. To the silver medal.I looked back and saw her standing on the steps. I looked back and saw Rinaldi standing watching me and waved to him.

 Nor for the beautiful uniforms. It is the captain. Let them keep their sisters in the house. The forest had been green in the summer when we had come into the town but now there were the stumps and the broken trunks and the ground torn up. Maybe she would pretend that I was her boy that was killed and we would go in the front door and the porter would take off his cap and I would stop at the concierges desk and ask for the key and she would stand by the elevator and then we would get in the elevator and it would go up very slowly clicking at all the floors and then our floor and the boy would open the door and stand there and she would step out and I would step out and we would walk down the hall and I would put the key in the door and open it and go in and then take down the telephone and ask them to send a bottle of capri bianca in a silver bucket full of ice and you would hear the ice against the pail coming down the condor and the boy would knock and I would say leave it outside the door please. I talked with the major and learned that when it should start and our cars should be loaded we would drive them back along the screened road and up to the main road along the ridge where there would be a post and other cars to clear them. how we did not do the things we wanted to do; we never did such things. You may come and see her after seven oclock if you wish.I did not say anything. Villa San Giovanni. she said. Goodnight. one for troops and one for officers. the leather shiny with oil. To the silver medal. This is close to the front. The priest smiled and blushed and shook his head.

 Manera said. I knew it.Dont write anything that will bother the censor. Why dont you come inHe shook his head. I could pull backward along with my arms and elbows. Rinaldi said. There was a little shelter of green branches outside over the entrance and in the dark the night wind rustled the leaves dried by the sun. My God what would a man do with a woman like that except worship her What else is an Englishwoman good forYou are an ignorant foulmouthed dago. Rinaldi said. I wont kiss you if you dont want.Say.Yes.You want us to stay here or can we look aroundBetter stay here.I looked back and saw her standing on the steps. there were some new hospitals. No one to make fun of.Sit down to it.

 I will send the liaison officer. I tried to make out whether they were members of the family or what; but they were all uniformly classical.You were quite right.You did exactly right.Oh.You dont wear himNo. I said. Then there was one that we did not hear coming until the sudden rush.Youre not a Catholic. But the little Scotch one is very nice.Yes. Manera finished. You rarely find any one any good this close to the front. I said. close behind the lines. And come to morrow night. She did not seem tall walking toward me but she looked very lovely.

 Go on tell me.Leave him alone. It tasted of rusty metal. painted gray and built like moving-vans. I must go.I wish there was some place we could go. said Bassi. baby. It takes a long time to be.Poor Rinaldi.That was because it was first. Multiple superficial wounds of the left and right thigh and left and right knee and right foot. but not losing sight of the priest. Multiple superficial wounds of the left and right thigh and left and right knee and right foot.Theyll send you to a hospital.Thats a relief. We went for a stretcher but there wasnt any.

 isnt there I was brought up to think there was. I followed his hands with my eyes. He held up the glass. Theres not really any war of that sort down here.A sergeant shot two officers who would not get out. There isnt always an explanation for everything. Two for 132. Ahead there was a rounded turn off in the road to the right and looking down I could see the road dropping through the trees. There was one fine cemetery thoughthe one at Pisa.Ill get some. and a few more houses had been hit by shell fire. He was going to marry me and he was killed in the Somme. Back at the villa I went upstairs to the room.He should go to Palermo. Outside it was nearly dark. Wait till I get cleaned up.Most of them dont.

 He has a rendezvous.Hello. Helen.Im quite well. Manera lit his lighter and passed it around. A trench mortar shell. Manera said.As you wish.There are no forks. What kind of time did you haveMagnificent. But no. sure that this was all and all and all and not caring.You want us to stay here or can we look aroundBetter stay here. Priest not happy. I thought somebody was screaming. We go whorehouse before it shuts. It is a successful coup de main.

Rinaldi looked at me blankly. I said. I came back the next afternoon from our first mountain post and stopped the car at the smistimento where the wounded and sick were sorted by their papers and the papers marked for the different hospitals. folded it without rising from the bed and slid it in his breeches pocket.Hello.You dont wear himNo. the tiny man with the long thin neck and the goat beard.How is everythingSplendid. Her hand had hit my nose and eyes.Wed take quite good care of them and return them to the villa. It was quiet for a moment still. then we started. said the lieutenant. go to hell. Porta feriti I tried to get closer to Passini to try to put a tourniquet on the legs but I could not move. the house for officers. You wont worry now.

He took off his gloves. holding below the target and trying to master the jerk of the ridiculous short barrel until I could hit within a yard of where I aimed at twenty paces and then the ridiculousness of carrying a pistol at all came over me and I soon forgot it and carried it flopping against the small of my back with no feeling at all except a vague sort of shame when I met Englishspeaking people. I sent a couple of army Zona di Guerra postcards.Outside the post a great many of us lay on the ground in the dark. I turned her so I could see her face when I kissed her and I saw that her eyes were shut. The King was good but dull. Through the other noise I heard a cough.Rinaldi was talking with the other nurse.How is everythingSplendid. and went through the trenches in the smasheddown town and along the edge of the slope. Ill take it very easily.The next afternoon we heard there was to be an attack up the river that night and that we were to take four cars there. keeping to the side. They all ask for you. There were three others to locate.I wish there was some place we could go. she said.

 winefully. gray leather boxes heavy with the packs of clips of thin. get me out of here. Or shot through the shoulder. They would. Over on the right they had the Duke of Aosta. Tenente. said the lieutenant. The ovens and some deep holes had been equipped as dressing stations. His breath went away.I have one.Open the bottle. The road curved and we saw the three cars looking quite small.Probably.I saw Catherine Barkley coming down the hall. or else using a continuous lift and sucking into the mouth.When you come back bring a phonograph.

 At this point the priest left and I told the story about the travelling salesman who arrived at five oclock in the morning at Marseilles when the mistral was blowing. One thing after another. There was that beginning of a feeling of dryness in the nose that meant the day would be hot later on.The driver came out of the door with the papers for the wounded in the car. sototenente (the thumb). dont you It seemed it was a very funny joke if you understood it properly. I lowered it into the mouth.No. the major said. I said.There were small gray motor cars that passed going very fast usually there was an officer on the seat with the driver and more officers in the back seat. It was quiet. Somebody was singing. You are really an Italian. I love you.Rinaldi was talking with the other nurse. the car looking disgraced and empty with the engine open and parts spread on the work bench.

No comments:

Post a Comment