Tuesday, May 10, 2011

It would not finish it if one side stopped fighting.Yes.

Shes not awfully well
Shes not awfully well.You sons of bitches. she said. They lined them up afterward and took every tenth man. It was half of the brigata Basilicata.The adjutant. I hope you feel better. the operation was successful.I will get it for you. holding the cheese.All right. Something landed outside that shook the earth. He went back inside.Ill get some.Nonsense.How do you do Miss Barkley said. I am very moved to see you badly wounded.

 Ill always come back.Four for 105. I lowered it into the mouth. is a short cut. hauling them back from the mountains to the clearing station and then distributing them to the hospitals named on their papers. The sun was going down and the day was cooling off. It was a long time since I had written to the States and I knew I should write but I had let it go so long that it was almost impossible to write now. Goodnight. I like him. said the priest. bulged forward under the capes so that the men. I remembered where I was going. under a hill beyond the river. I saluted and went out. The British hospital was a big villa built by Germans before the war.Have you ever loved any oneNo.It is very valuable.

 Tenente.Slit the tunic. Fillipo Vincenza. There are a few real wounded. But if you have had it you know.You see Ive been leading a sort of a funny life. and one day at the end of the fall when I was out where the oak forest had been I saw a cloud coming over the mountain.He walked across to the dressing station.How are you. For stupidity. In the dark I could not see where it came from the canvas overhead.Hes an American. I am now in love with Miss Barkley. I tried again and my legs moved a little. We two stopped talking and the captain shouted. That is very clear. Goodnight.

 Rome. My father is a famous hunter.Its Manera. Hes very good. The forest had been green in the summer when we had come into the town but now there were the stumps and the broken trunks and the ground torn up. crossing out everything except.Tonight you will tell me everything. Remember carefully. I said. schutzen stock. Youve had it before.Where were the Hartz Mountains anyway They were fighting in the Carpathians. Dio te salve. Rinaldi said that the French had mutinied and troops marched on Paris. Stop it. youre very good. Always in Rome.

Im dreadfully sorry.I thought it over. tenente (first finger). Here at the brickyard we were sheltered from rifle or machine gun fire by the river bank.Listen. left the car at the dressing station under the hill.Shes nice. Ill look up their adjutant to do your papers and it will all go much faster. maggiore (next to the little finger). We were in the second army. if the war should end. Like bridge you had to pretend you were playing for money or playing for some stakes. There were many strong smells. warmed from the sun on the wall. The British hospital was a big villa built by Germans before the war. the stumps of trees projected. Its not a wound.

 Its only the ambulance. There was a great splashing and I saw the star shells go up and burst and float whitely and rockets going up and heard the bombs. she said.Porta feriti I shouted holding my hands cupped. I said. They come back for me. Aldo. and stood up. and a bandage around his head. Tell me. She waved again and then I was out of the driveway and climbing up into the seat of the ambulance and we started. He woke when he heard me in the room and sat up. They would take me as soon as possible.There was great laughter from everybody. She came back from wherever she had been. I said to the priest. As soon as I get the papers on these wounded Ill take you along the road and drop you with your medical officers.

 where it was clear cold and dry and the snow was dry and powdery and haretracks in the snow and the peasants took off their hats and called you Lord and there was good hunting. Besides.Hell say I did it on purpose. waxy looking. He was dressed. The major said he had heard a report that I could drink. Did you stay all nightYes. my bed was made up with blankets and my things hung on the wall. The cognac is under the bed. The pain hasnt started yet. I said in Italian. she said.Its a charming place.Have you done nursing longSince the end of fifteen. You only pretend to be American. Do you suffer much Have a drink. It was in France of course.

Im awfully sorry. he said. There.I went back to the majors dugout and he said the field kitchen would be along and the drivers could come and get their stew. Another burst and in the noise you could hear the smaller noise of the brick and dirt raining down. They would take me as soon as possible. The vineyards were thin and bare-branched too and all the country wet and brown and dead with the autumn. Because were going to have a strange life. The doctors were working with their sleeves up to their shoulders and were red as butchers. the long barrels of the guns covered with green branches and green leafy branches and vines laid over the tractors. They were sweaty. baby.He poured two glasses and we touched them.You wouldnt want to go in the line all the time. baby.Ive come back to Catherine in the night.Bring good opera disks.

Oh. Every one laughed. I had imagined that the condition of the cars.Goodnight. unbuttoned the shirt collar and dropped him in under the shirt. It was what I had wanted to do and I tried to explain how one thing had led to another and finally he saw it and understood that I had really wanted to go and it was almost all right. He talks French. Everybody is proud of you. I opened the capsule and spilled him out into my hand. long 6. I went on home.We must shut up. and stood up. three men nurses and a doctor and picked you up out of bed and carried you into the dressing room so that the beds could be made while we were having our wounds dressed.There is a class that controls a country that is stupid and does not realize anything and never can. Manera lit his lighter and passed it around. shes very nice.

 I love you. They splashed more mud than the camions even and if one of the officers in the back was very small and sitting between two generals. Goodnight. Theres not really any war of that sort down here. thats nothing to how it will feel later. The orderly was listening behind the desk.You want us to stay here or can we look aroundBetter stay here. There was one smashed bridge across the river. unbuttoned the shirt collar and dropped him in under the shirt. You were liable to arrest if you did not have one worn in plain sight. chilblains. gentlemen. Whats the matter with you Do you want us to come outside and get himThe two stretcher bearers picked up the man under the arms and by the legs and brought him in. Tell me about Gorizia. aint this a goddam warListen. No one to make fun of. They do it for nothing.

 Rinaldi said goodnight.What is her nameFerguson. and mark a cross on both legs. I said. While I was looking at him he opened his eyes. I took another mouthful and some cheese and a rinse of wine. You are a dear. stepping carefully among the wounded. He patted Gordini on the shoulder. I hope youll be comfy. Hes very good. He drank a half tumbler of cognac.No. The major was unhooking the forceps now. I had met two gunners from that lot.. The earth of the dugout was warm and dry and I let my shoulders back against the wall.

I have one. I said.You better wait until the shelling is over. He made a gesture and laughed loudly. go to hell.Rinaldi was talking with the other nurse.No.Oh. I wish she were here now. It was not a pleasant trip to the dressing room and I did not know until later that beds could be made with men in them. she said. Stop it. I wont kiss you if you dont want.No. I had met two gunners from that lot.Yes. My friend motioned for him to come in.

 The dressing station was on the Austrian side of the river under the edge of the hill and stretcherbearers would bring the wounded back across the pontoon bridge.I washed. I just tell you. I could see the light come out from the dressing station when the curtain opened and they brought some one in or out. Thats the end of it.I looked outside. The major asked me to have a drink with him and two other officers. Fillipo Vincenza Bassi or Bassi Fillippo Vicenza had never touched a drop all evening and what was his name anyway He said was my name Frederico Enrico or Enrico Federico I said let the best man win. Its a Saint Anthony. I had gone to no such place but to the smoke of cafe and nights when the room whirled and you needed to look at the wall to make it stop. said the captain. tipping their heads back. Manera said. yes. I said.We sat on the flat stone bench and I held Catherine Barkleys hand. when you knew that that was all there was.

 misunderstandings. I unwound the puttee and while I was doing it I saw there was no need to try and make a tourniquet because he was dead already. The window was open. It was not wide enough either to carry all the transport for an offensive and the Austrians could make a shambles out of it. You do not really like it.Are you hit badly he asked. I love you. . And come to morrow night. Take a drink.If I go back theyll make me get operated on and then theyll put me in the line all the time. put their stretchers down. Thats all I know. He patted Gordini on the shoulder.One of those shot by the carabinieri is from my town. Mr. With your priest and your English girl.

 They lifted me and the blanket flap went across my face as we went out. Jesus Christ. I am positive you will get the silver. They would. And you play it as well as you know how.The Pope wants the Austrians to win the war. gonorrhea.Probably. Theres more snow there than here.It was nearly dark when we came down and turned onto the main road that ran beside the river. soldiers would. They had come back for him. and other trucks with loads covered with canvas that moved slower in the traffic. lieutenant We wont get a chance to eat after this thing starts. baby.Yes. blunt-nosed ambulances.

 after all.He was a very nice boy.I wanted to do something for him. the captain said. They cant do that to everybody. clear red.He does really. I said.Saint Anthony asked the driver. Manera said he hoped it would come before the bombardment started.The major spoke to an orderly who went out of sight in the back and came back with a metal basin of cold cooked macaroni.That night at the mess I sat next to the priest and he was disappointed and suddenly hurt that I had not gone to the Abruzzi. She waved again and then I was out of the driveway and climbing up into the seat of the ambulance and we started.Youre a nice boy. said Manera. I hope shes not ill. and stood up.

 There was one fine cemetery thoughthe one at Pisa.Not even for the beautiful languageNo.Yes. I wished to God it was over though. the smashed tunnel by the river where the fighting had been. mama Mia I pulled and twisted and got my legs loose finally and turned around and touched him. wont you She looked up at me. Another night when you feel stronger.Three hundred fives. I always thought he was French. bulged forward under the capes so that the men. Bless me.Two carabinieri held the car up. father.Theyll shell the   out of us. A soldier came along after the last of the stragglers. He came back with a handful of roasted coffee beans.

 Over on the right they had the Duke of Aosta. I know all about it now. His mother sent it to me. They wouldnt attack. if the war should end. the light came out and he went in. and found we still lived in the same house and that it all looked the same as when I had left it. And you do love meYes. Im not. .Wop. In a little while we would say insulting things. that nothing should be lost. I was there and reading of it in the paper. Gavuzzi handed me the basin of macaroni.Thank God I did not become involved with the British. But I am telling it for our priest here.

Wed take quite good care of them and return them to the villa.When I got back to the villa it was five oclock and I went out where we washed the cars. without embarrassment.Ten cars were lined up side by side under the long shed. and of which I had never heard. Those of us that were awake talked across the ward. The Austrian trenches were above on the hillside only a few yards from the Italian lines. who said Miss Barkley was on dutytheres a war on.Better not drink too much brandy then. all this in a moment. You may come and see her after seven oclock if you wish. There were stragglers going by long after the regiment had passedmen who could not keep up with their platoons. Ill always come back. Really. I do not believe in the Free Masons however. It would not finish it if one side stopped fighting.Yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment