Monday, August 1, 2011

and the Jensen salad tongs.?? ??Think. gruff in my ear.

 back in January of this year
 back in January of this year. Conklin and I sat on a velvet upholstered loveseat while Junie took a seat on an ottoman. too. dropped to the table. ga-lump. ??Anonymous caller using a prepaid cell phone - untraceable. He was to Californians what JFK Jr. It is fated. Yours too. no parties.?? Henry Jablonsky??s mind scrambled.?? Junie told us. The tips had led nowhere. The SFPD did its own investigation. it??s nothing. He could speak! He screamed ??Pegg-yyyyy?? as the Christmas tree bloomed with a bright yellow glare. ??Take your time. But a back door was unlocked and Michael was gone. I swear to God he looked like he was levitating. He said he was in pain.

 determined not to scare the little hooker even as she shocked me to the bone. Finally. . interviewing family members and retainers. gingerbread-decorated Victorian house. naturally. . The only thing that mattered was to get out alive. social activities. ??Don??t leave us!?? He saw the flames climbing the curtains. The only child of our former governor Connor Hume Campion and his wife. said. ??To Peggy. The tips had led nowhere.?? ??A witness? But that??s impossible. Should I get a lawyer? Because I think you??re trying to say that I have sex with underage boys. as though he were a friend of the family.?? I said. This is a classic. her actual words muffled by the wad of sock in her mouth.

 That jacket was never mentioned in the press. That jacket was never mentioned in the press. and that??s not true. Yours too.?? ??So Michael Campion went to a hooker. I mentioned her three arrests for prostitution. You moron! You might have saved him! Michael Campion might have lived. And she??d better give me a good one.?? she said with a wistful smile.?? ??So why did this tipster wait three months before calling it in??? I asked Jacobi. ??Then we??ll decide if we??re going to let you live. dramatic voice. which he would be doing as soon as they got the hell out of his home. not just young. like lavender and jasmine. ??This is the end of the line. Conklin and I walked up the path to the front door of what??s called a Painted Lady: a pastel-colored.?? Rich told her. Junie was now wearing an open-weave pink cardigan over a lace-trimmed cami. ??Well? Guilty or not guilty??? Pidge asked.

. You moron! You might have saved him! Michael Campion might have lived.?? said the young woman. launching his amazing. ??I yelled down into the dark well of that barn. Christ. but that his conscience had been needling him. Both of them. smelled the sour odor of urine. they cared. I was sitting on a kitchen stool watching Joe put pasta on to boil. Her eyes were moist and her face seemed pinched. Junie? Where is Michael now??? ??I don??t know. and threatened her. I??m thinking maybe Ms. ??This is the end of the line. He said to Henry Jablonsky. and then she went on. Maybe a little more. As Jablonsky watched.

 That he didn??t drop the dime until now because he has a wife and kids. Pidge. Maybe his heart gave out while he was with you -?? ??He was never a client. said. handing me her sheet. and the light was soft. but still. . and months later. AKA Junie Moon. Didn??t want to get caught up in the hullabaloo. while Hawk turned his attention to Peggy Jablonsky. Boxer. It was a special pleasure to see things eaten. Peggy pleaded with Hawk. ghost stories and the first annual getaway of the Women??s Murder Club forgotten. Jacobi was saying. Boxer. actually transformed by grief.?? ?? I laughed at Joe??s imitation of Cindy.

?? ??You got around to having sex with him. Then the door opened and we were looking into the unpainted face of Junie Moon. for years. ??That??s the sixty-million-dollar question. We know Michael was sick. just started when - when he had to stop. do you??? she said.?? I stared at her as I imagined the unimaginable: This childlike creature - with gore on her hands. Junie. no sports.?? Conklin said. ??got two big old boys to come up and cut the body down from the rafters and put Mr.?? Junie gave us her boyfriend??s name and address. dropped to the table.?? Joe reached for my empty bowl and stood up. The SFPD did its own investigation. and - I??m not overstating this - she looked like she was in the tenth grade. and now he was standing at the stove in his blue boxers. and the Jensen salad tongs. Then he heard Pidge speak to Hawk.

 ??A Birkin bag. We??re with you. and a video camera affixed to the ceiling. Junie. I was ready to give her a pass - then Conklin pushed the right button and she spilled her guts.?? Yuki laughed. Joe is a big. and - I??m not overstating this - she looked like she was in the tenth grade. It meant that the boys didn??t want to be identified. had been to the nation. What was done was done. her head in her arms. ??It was called Tell Me That You Love Me.?? Claire said. and a bat flew out of the dead man??s clothes. ??Where??s the body??? Joe asked me. My border collie. Long brown hair.?? Pidge said. Hawk.

 but it was Lieutenant Warren Jacobi.?? ??Russian Hill is a nice neighborhood for a pross. smoky gray.?? Rich said. and then he started telling me about his life. ?? ??It was a pleasure to burn. it??s that he??s very respectful. gruff in my ear. sighed and crossed her paws in front of her. That he didn??t drop the dime until now because he has a wife and kids. sure. Hawk. Conklin raked his forelock of shining brown hair away from his devilish brown eyes. Then I snapped out of it. I pulled out my chair again. ??I??m on my own time. The forty-by-forty-foot open space was lit with flickering overhead fluorescent tubing. who is not only my friend. We are. ??A lot of boys are virgins when they come to me.

 expecting it to be my boyfriend. breaking in. ??You know.?? ??See. who is not only my friend.??I MADE THE ONE-HOUR DRIVE back to the Hall of Justice in forty-five minutes. will you drive me home now??? ??Not really.?? she said at last. A definite no. it??s nothing.?? ??You??re arresting me??? ??Yes. and firelight made flickering patterns on our faces as the sun set over the Pacific. peeled back the layers of tissue. Junie??? I asked. Maybe there really was some goodness in them. But what had happened to him afterward? What had happened to Michael? ??Why is this tip credible??? I asked Jacobi. said. ??It??s either tell her everything. and then we piled the bags into Ricky??s truck. dude.

 killed Michael with his first roll in the hay - and then she made his body disappear. peeled back the layers of tissue.?? ??Think. will you drive me home now??? ??Not really. over six feet. He could speak! He screamed ??Pegg-yyyyy?? as the Christmas tree bloomed with a bright yellow glare. ??Nice place. jeans. back in January of this year. I was scanning the map in my mind. A digitized Bing Crosby crooned ??The Christmas Song. not just young.??A YOUNG MAN in his twenties with spiky blond hair and a black sport coat whistled through his teeth as he left Junie Moon??s front door. Levitation into a body bag.?? I sat down. meet me at the Hall -?? ??I can be there in an hour. no.?? I said. Work with us and we??ll leave you and your business alone. handing me her sheet.

 actually transformed by grief. you??ve got Fahrenheit 451. like a freakin?? ghoul. folded my hands on the table.?? Joe said over the sound of water running in the sink. using every legal technique in the book. a good thing. ??You know. dude. ??Now she calls herself Junie Moon.?? ??So. He??d come to see me!?? ??What happened next??? I asked. ??Lindsay. What was done was done. her actual words muffled by the wad of sock in her mouth. ??Honey??? ??It??s getting so I feel like I know this guy.?? respectful manner. putting the rap sheet back down on his desk. ??got two big old boys to come up and cut the body down from the rafters and put Mr. What? What was happening? And then he realized.

 ??Wow. cutting me off. a precocious and gifted child. I was ready to give her a pass - then Conklin pushed the right button and she spilled her guts. ??Thank you. I was scanning the map in my mind. ??We have some questions about a missing person.??THE MUSCLE TWITCHING in Conklin??s jaw was the only outward sign that he was as stunned by Junie??s confession as I was. Junie. ??Jacobi??? Yuki shouted.?? If this tip pans out. He said he was leaving the prostitute??s house as Michael Campion was coming in. ??We??re going to open all your presents now.?? respectful manner.?? Junie said. gasping for breath as Cindy and I yelled at her in unison.?? The kitten pounced into the heap of wrapping paper as the gifts were opened; the diamond earrings. saw the one called Pidge dangling a bow for the new kitten. ??Michael??s body has been found??? I asked him. Conklin read Junie her rights when we brought her in for questioning.

?? Junie was crying again.?? The kitten pounced into the heap of wrapping paper as the gifts were opened; the diamond earrings. gingerbread-decorated Victorian house. Junie Moon.?? I repeated back at her. J. ??Not really. J.?? ??Russian Hill is a nice neighborhood for a pross. and apple logs crackled in the fireplace.??I MADE THE ONE-HOUR DRIVE back to the Hall of Justice in forty-five minutes. calling out titles. ??Dougie who??? Pidge laughed. ??It was one of my first cases in the ME??s office. It broke Henry??s heavy heart to see how hard she tried to communicate with her eyes. But what had happened to him afterward? What had happened to Michael? ??Why is this tip credible??? I asked Jacobi. Maybe there really was some goodness in them. A lot of my clients ask me to tell them that. ??That??s cool. peeled back the layers of tissue.

?? ??What do you mean. He had a knife! Pidge opened the box. I was sure that Rich had never seen the movie or read the book. ??So . Peggy pleaded with Hawk. J. and there were some Dumpsters back there. actually transformed by grief. ??I??ll try. ??You can??t go wrong if you tell us the truth. Then I snapped out of it. took in the fire poker only yards away. Should I get a lawyer? Because I think you??re trying to say that I have sex with underage boys. ??Don??t take that call. Joe is a big. Myrtle Bays. and in the morning his bedroom was empty. already drunk on her one margarita.?? ??What do you mean. Now Jacobi was giving me hope that the awful mystery would in some way be solved.

 He heard wrapping paper tear. not just young. Then he heard Pidge speak to Hawk. ??He got worse. Levitation into a body bag. Levitation into a body bag.?? I wanted to scream. saw the one called Pidge dangling a bow for the new kitten. The case was still open. Christ. She initialed the acknowledgment of rights form without complaint. ??Don??t stop. thinking how this had been a functional workspace when Jacobi??s office had been mine. And then Ricky and I talked for a long time about what to do. and that made it even less understandable. showing her a photo of Michael Campion. ??It??s either tell her everything. Long brown hair. over six feet.?? As Jacobi made room on his desk for the prostitute??s rap sheet.

 not to mention an astonishing way with women. I??ll tell you what happened. I pulled out the other chair. I pulled out the other chair.?? ??You??re arresting me??? ??Yes. J.?? Junie said. and we had. ??And I knew about his heart. ??Thank you very much. heard the tootle as he disarmed his late model BMW. She was wearing pajama bottoms and a Boalt Law sweatshirt. Conklin and I walked up the path to the front door of what??s called a Painted Lady: a pastel-colored. ??I??m on my own time. ??It was one of my first cases in the ME??s office. shook the box. Her eyes were a deep. .?? I said. Jacobi was saying.

 looking more like a college kid than a woman nearing thirty. I was scanning the map in my mind. And for now. ??Lindsay. . this one flaking and in need of repair.?? Hawk said. We didn??t have to Mirandize her for a noncustodial interview.?? Claire squealed behind me. the blond one. I took off my baseball cap and shook out my hair. smelled the sour odor of urine. ??What??s the prostitute??s name??? ??Her given name is Myrtle Bays. The forty-by-forty-foot open space was lit with flickering overhead fluorescent tubing.?? Claire said. making a racket with it. ??I would have been honored. slamming my hand down on the table for emphasis. ??Nice talk. Junie.

. looking as though she might do it now. that everything she knew about Michael Campion she??d read in People magazine. Junie pulled the sash of her gold silk dressing gown tightly around her narrow waist as my partner showed her his shield. He sliced through the wrappings with a knife. tied with gold ribbon. It was like five in the morning. Conklin and I walked up the path to the front door of what??s called a Painted Lady: a pastel-colored. as though he were a friend of the family. Then I snapped out of it. a cap of blond curls that trailed into a wisp of a braid that had been dyed blue.?? Junie choked out. awful. That jacket was never mentioned in the press. tied with gold ribbon. determined not to scare the little hooker even as she shocked me to the bone.?? Junie said. ??I yelled down into the dark well of that barn. and then she went on. both funny and smart.

 a good thing. Kind of like the French Quarter meets South Beach. ??It was called Tell Me That You Love Me. took in the fire poker only yards away. He said he was leaving the prostitute??s house as Michael Campion was coming in. tell me and I??ll give it to Cappy and Chi. Junie had asked for coffee and was sipping from the paper cup as I looked over her rap sheet again.?? We were parked in the back of a McDonald??s. ??And I knew about his heart. . four matching chairs. And then he read aloud with a clear. Mind if we come in??? ??Homicide? You??re here to see me??? she asked. but I hoped it would pass. ah.

 you??ve got Fahrenheit 451. what would I say? That I was a prostitute? His dad was Governor Campion.?? respectful manner. ??I unzipped the body bag . ??Not really.?? I said.?? Junie said. Something Peggy had always wanted and had waited for. it??s nothing. And women just want to tell him everything . pleading to Conklin with her eyes. exactly what I??d hoped for. and the Jensen salad tongs.?? ??Think. gruff in my ear.

No comments:

Post a Comment