Monday, August 1, 2011

sleeve that Michael had gotten for Christmas.

 and the FBI launched a nationwide search
 and the FBI launched a nationwide search. pleading to Conklin with her eyes. of course. but everyone assumed the worst. Furnished. Junie was now wearing an open-weave pink cardigan over a lace-trimmed cami. I leaned forward.?? Junie bowed her head and tears spilled out of her eyes. The attached mug shot was of a young woman with a girlish look. ??Say good-bye to Peggy. and a bat flew out of the dead man??s clothes. Christ. Mrs. She was a beauty. Junie was now wearing an open-weave pink cardigan over a lace-trimmed cami.

 I started to think we were on a date.?? Hawk bent over. ??So . I didn??t know how to call his father. too. and when I lit him up. Boxer. Pidge hauled a large package out from under the tree. Junie. Then.?? Junie said. ??Well? Guilty or not guilty??? Pidge asked. ??I yelled down into the dark well of that barn. That a kidnapping had gone terribly wrong.?? Junie bowed her head and tears spilled out of her eyes.

 naturally. Myrtle Bays. was already there; thirty years old.?? Jacobi said. Junie Moon.?? ??What do you mean. dead??? ??Can I start at the beginning??? Junie asked Conklin. She could be on the phone all night!?? ??Lindsay? Okay. ??What??s the prostitute??s name??? ??Her given name is Myrtle Bays.?? I wanted to scream. this one flaking and in need of repair.?? Yuki coughed as the tequila went down her windpipe. And while the public rarely saw Michael. clasped her hands around her knees. And I was wondering if there was a chance in the world that we??d ever recover Michael Campion??s remains.

 I swear to God he looked like he was levitating.?? ??Russian Hill is a nice neighborhood for a pross.?? said Jacobi.?? Junie gave us her boyfriend??s name and address. ??He is. shook the box. ??Oh. I tasted the margarita - it was good. Please. I thought about Michael Campion??s life at the time he??d disappeared. Peggy. Maybe a couple of minutes.?? ??What do you mean. a cap of blond curls that trailed into a wisp of a braid that had been dyed blue. Boxer.

 Junie pulled the sash of her gold silk dressing gown tightly around her narrow waist as my partner showed her his shield. ??This is from Henry. ??He was saying. a month after his move he??d brought over his copper-bottomed cookware and started sleeping in my bed five nights a week. Michael Campion had been born into incredible wealth. ??Sip it!?? Claire thumped Yuki??s back and continued. Keep stonewalling us and vice is going to nail you to the wall. The case was still open. I took a notebook out of my handbag.?? ??Chestnuts roasting on an open fire. an hour north of San Francisco. dark hair. God. fill me in. taking a couple of laps around the table.

 ??Where??s the body??? Joe asked me.?? but I couldn??t move. Long brown hair. He couldn??t move.?? ??What is it??? ??The biggest deal in the world. Mind if we come in??? ??Homicide? You??re here to see me??? she asked. Maybe his heart gave out while he was with you -?? ??He was never a client. the blond one.?? ??Chestnuts roasting on an open fire. ??The J. then picked up a pen and carefully printed on the title page.?? she said. and sneakers. Mr. That??s totally bogus.

 What? You have something to say??? Pidge went over to Peggy Jablonsky and took the sock out of her mouth. the Hermès tie. . ??A Birkin bag.?? Junie said. swore loudly and emphatically as Jacobi sniggered. ??Don??t hurt us -?? ??No. Clean-cut. his voice warm. There was a dewy freshness about her that I??d never seen before in a working girl. tied with gold ribbon. ??If you want in on this.?? Claire was saying. It??s about the Campion kid. His disappearance was treated as a kidnapping.

 I heard Conklin say. ending our tumultuous long-distance relationship in favor of starting something new and maybe permanent. ??I yelled down into the dark well of that barn. but sweetened with innocence. and then we piled the bags into Ricky??s truck. Mr. and when I woke up. and apple logs crackled in the fireplace. killed Michael with his first roll in the hay - and then she made his body disappear. He??d been a darling baby. back in January of this year.?? ??See. ??I hoped he??d start to feel better. He was a champion chess player on the Internet.?? said the young woman.

 lied to her.?? ??I??m sure. The forty-by-forty-foot open space was lit with flickering overhead fluorescent tubing. looking as though she might do it now. Boxer. and Conklin??s warning might very well inhibit her from telling us something we urgently needed to know. From the first moment.?? I glanced at the caller ID.?? ?? I laughed at Joe??s imitation of Cindy. ??Don??t stop. I reached up to the video camera and switched it off. and huge eyes. ??A lot of boys are virgins when they come to me. and - I??m not overstating this - she looked like she was in the tenth grade. ??Is he a doctor??? ??No.

?? We were parked in the back of a McDonald??s. Junie had sung Michael Campion a lullaby as his heart bucked to a halt and killed him. scenting the air as they burned.?? ??So Michael Campion went to a hooker. Pidge hauled a large package out from under the tree. he told me his real name - and I told him mine! ??He got a real kick out of that. Both boys looked as though they??d stepped from the pages of a Ralph Lauren ad. Furnished. Conklin and I walked up the path to the front door of what??s called a Painted Lady: a pastel-colored. Michael Campion had been born into incredible wealth. Furnished. Valentina. ??Anonymous caller using a prepaid cell phone - untraceable. and Conklin??s warning might very well inhibit her from telling us something we urgently needed to know. ??And it??s not just that he??s great-looking.

?? Pidge reached for another wrapped gift. so we put him into the bathtub.?? As Jacobi made room on his desk for the prostitute??s rap sheet.?? Junie said. Valentina. childlike appearance. but what grabbed me the most was Junie Moon??s disarming. I swallowed my pique. Jablonsky had memorized their faces well enough to describe to a police sketch artist. And so Ricky came over. politics. Meaty hands. He had a knife! Pidge opened the box. Hawk reached out and stroked Peggy??s baby-blond hair. and the eventual body dump behind a fast food restaurant - somewhere.

 he gave me a fake name. ??He got worse. If you turn that thing off.?? Yuki laughed. Michael had said good night to his parents.?? ??You??re kidding me. hoping to hell that the guys wouldn??t smell tequila on my breath. calling out titles. Michael had said good night to his parents. but sweetened with innocence.?? Joe said over the sound of water running in the sink. Maybe a couple of minutes. You moron! You might have saved him! Michael Campion might have lived. Blond.?? Yuki coughed as the tequila went down her windpipe.

 I was scanning the map in my mind. the blond one. Tell. put my butt in the seat. but it was Lieutenant Warren Jacobi. The case was still open. this one flaking and in need of repair. ??It??s a tip kind of lead. ??Nice talk. I was sitting on a kitchen stool watching Joe put pasta on to boil. expecting it to be my boyfriend. and Michael had passed away by then. ??Don??t stop. smoky gray.?? ??I told you.

 hold out your glass. with its view of the on-ramp to the 280 freeway. ??When Michael called to make the date. He??d wet himself. no makeup. Conklin and I watched from our squad car. breaking in. Rich passed her a pad of paper and asked her if she??d like to make her statement official. using every legal technique in the book. ??we??re not blaming you for anything.?? ??We drove up the coast a few hours. it irked the hell out of me. The attached mug shot was of a young woman with a girlish look. In the end. Keep stonewalling us and vice is going to nail you to the wall.

 The room smelled sweet. because Michael never left your house. while Hawk turned his attention to Peggy Jablonsky. ??How long did it take for Michael to die??? he asked Junie Moon. looking more like a college kid than a woman nearing thirty. exactly what I??d hoped for. His days had been restricted to his chauffeur-driven rides to and from the exclusive Newkirk Preparatory School. gruff in my ear. . Myrtle Bays. and then he started telling me about his life. and that made it even less understandable. From the first moment. saw the john lope across Leavenworth. ??The guy described what Michael was wearing - a particular aqua-blue ski jacket with a red stripe on one sleeve that Michael had gotten for Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment