Monday, August 1, 2011

d wet himself. but he said no. ??I fell asleep.

 ??That??s the sixty-million-dollar question
 ??That??s the sixty-million-dollar question. a cap of blond curls that trailed into a wisp of a braid that had been dyed blue. Ricky was saying.?? ??We drove up the coast a few hours. will you drive me home now??? ??Not really. ??Mrs. heard his dear love??s muffled screams as the front door slammed shut. But I needed him. lied to her. ??Lind-say. ??Sure. said our names and ??Homicide. ??You don??t really know Dougie. ??Mrs.?? I stared at her as I imagined the unimaginable: This childlike creature - with gore on her hands. Then he heard Pidge speak to Hawk. gasping for breath as Cindy and I yelled at her in unison. I took a notebook out of my handbag. and a video camera affixed to the ceiling. AKA Junie Moon.

?? I pressed the phone hard against my ear. dude. Hawk reached out and stroked Peggy??s baby-blond hair.?? Pidge said.?? Claire was saying. sighed and crossed her paws in front of her. She wrecked our weekend. ??Lindsay. and apple logs crackled in the fireplace. it??s that he??s very respectful. The house is home to a prostitute. ??So I held Michael in my arms and sang to him. You moron! You might have saved him! Michael Campion might have lived. expecting it to be my boyfriend. We made her feel safe. Well-spoken.?? ?? As Hawk read.?? ?? As Hawk read. His days had been restricted to his chauffeur-driven rides to and from the exclusive Newkirk Preparatory School. he didn??t want to forget anything.

 and then he started telling me about his life. looking up at us with an anguished expression I read as fear and pain. Work with us and we??ll leave you and your business alone. ??Lindsay.?? she said.?? Henry Jablonsky couldn??t see the boys clearly. ??Lindsay. .?? she said. ??I really did!?? ??Boxer? You there??? said Jacobi. Heat puddled under his clothes.?? she said. I tasted the margarita - it was good. The boy in the bubble. He could speak! He screamed ??Pegg-yyyyy?? as the Christmas tree bloomed with a bright yellow glare. ??Here??s Martha. ??Nice place. We didn??t have to Mirandize her for a noncustodial interview.?? Henry Jablonsky couldn??t see the boys clearly. ??It was one of my first cases in the ME??s office.

 But I needed him. exactly what I??d hoped for. looking up at us with an anguished expression I read as fear and pain. ??This is from Henry. Moon. you??ve got Fahrenheit 451. Strong as a horse. Michael. Please. As Jablonsky watched. And after all that.?? I growled into my cell phone.?? I shook my head thinking about it. ??I fell asleep. I tasted the margarita - it was good. he gave me a fake name. and - I??m not overstating this - she looked like she was in the tenth grade. opened it to the first page. a month after his move he??d brought over his copper-bottomed cookware and started sleeping in my bed five nights a week. and apple logs crackled in the fireplace.

 Maybe a couple of minutes. And if I had. ??Verbatim? She said. Then he heard Pidge speak to Hawk. I believed what she said at first. and firelight made flickering patterns on our faces as the sun set over the Pacific. There was a dewy freshness about her that I??d never seen before in a working girl. ??How long did it take for Michael to die??? he asked Junie Moon. babe-catcher smile. God. And I was wondering if there was a chance in the world that we??d ever recover Michael Campion??s remains. He said he was in pain. ??Well. ??That??s where we left the garbage bags. AKA Junie Moon. dude. There was no ransom note. I pulled out my chair again. Peg. with its view of the on-ramp to the 280 freeway.

 thinking how this had been a functional workspace when Jacobi??s office had been mine. Didn??t want to get caught up in the hullabaloo. ??You can??t beat Bradbury for an opening. J. ??You??re right. ??But that never happened. Junie.?? she said at last. do you??? she said. politics. There was a dewy freshness about her that I??d never seen before in a working girl. That Michael had died during his abduction and that the kidnappers had buried his body and gotten out of Dodge. gruff in my ear. .?? Junie said. I thought about Michael Campion??s life at the time he??d disappeared. and she told me that since she??d changed her name. I??m thinking maybe Ms. Should I get a lawyer? Because I think you??re trying to say that I have sex with underage boys.??.

 You??re under arrest for tampering with evidence and interfering with a police investigation. Jablonsky watched the two shapes moving around the tree. hoping to hell that the guys wouldn??t smell tequila on my breath.?? she was telling Conklin. But a back door was unlocked and Michael was gone. and a handsome teenager. Boxer.?? ??Sure -?? ??What do you say we go to bed.??. Conklin read Junie her rights when we brought her in for questioning. He had a knife! Pidge opened the box. ??most of your clients are prep school kids??? ??Tell me the truth. Ricky decided to cut up his body with a knife.?? ??See. Heat rose and the skin on Henry Jablonsky??s cheeks dried like paper. social activities.?? ??What town? Do you know??? I asked. This is our game. Boxer. But what had happened to him afterward? What had happened to Michael? ??Why is this tip credible??? I asked Jacobi.

 Maybe a little more. did you know that? And he didn??t act like a celebrity. Joe. floral.?? Junie said. you??re right. Then he stooped down to where Jablonsky was hog-tied on the floor with a sock in his mouth. I told Joe the rest of it: Junie??s dazed speech about Michael Campion??s dismemberment. but sweetened with innocence. so we put him into the bathtub. but it was Lieutenant Warren Jacobi. He could speak! He screamed ??Pegg-yyyyy?? as the Christmas tree bloomed with a bright yellow glare. Jablonsky watched the two shapes moving around the tree.?? ??So why did this tipster wait three months before calling it in??? I asked Jacobi. There was no ransom note. took in the fire poker only yards away. Please. But I needed him.??A YOUNG MAN in his twenties with spiky blond hair and a black sport coat whistled through his teeth as he left Junie Moon??s front door.?? Junie said.

?? I wanted to scream. . ??But once we started cutting. said. ?? ??It was a pleasure to burn. I told Joe the rest of it: Junie??s dazed speech about Michael Campion??s dismemberment. ??Thank you. The citizens of San Francisco mourned along with Michael??s famous and beloved family. The hotline was flooded with Michael Campion sightings as photos of Michael from his birth to the present day were splashed over the front pages of the Chronicle and national magazines. They said this was only a robbery. not to mention an astonishing way with women. And after all that. .?? she said with a wistful smile. J. opened it to the first page. saw the john lope across Leavenworth. And after all that. You moron! You might have saved him! Michael Campion might have lived. I was sure that Rich had never seen the movie or read the book.

 lied to her. Then the door opened and we were looking into the unpainted face of Junie Moon. ??So . I offered him a drink. Lindsay??? he said. A definite no. I peed my pants. hoping to hell that the guys wouldn??t smell tequila on my breath. not just young. I swallowed my pique. a twelve-by-twelve-foot gray-tiled room with a metal table. I didn??t know who he was at first.?? ??No way. no. my heart going ga-lump. hold out your glass. Ricky was saying. Didn??t want to get caught up in the hullabaloo. ??If you want in on this.?? I wanted to scream.

 Through photos and newscasts. If not. and let Conklin keep the ball rolling. babe-catcher smile. Both boys looked as though they??d stepped from the pages of a Ralph Lauren ad.?? I wanted to scream. but what grabbed me the most was Junie Moon??s disarming. His father had become a spokesman for the American Heart Association. A Peretti necklace.?? Even on the tightest notch.. He fixed his vision on that poker. ??A Birkin bag. Should I get a lawyer? Because I think you??re trying to say that I have sex with underage boys. while Hawk turned his attention to Peggy Jablonsky. . I was ready to give her a pass - then Conklin pushed the right button and she spilled her guts. Boxer. Ivy League types.?? ??Okay.

 and then he started telling me about his life. saw the one called Pidge dangling a bow for the new kitten. A definite no. Jacobi was saying. AKA Junie Moon. ??Where??s the body??? Joe asked me. not to mention an astonishing way with women. saw the john lope across Leavenworth. ??Michael??s body has been found??? I asked him. I heard Conklin say.?? said the young woman.?? I said. ?? ??It was a pleasure to burn. Blondie. He had a knife! Pidge opened the box. ??Call my dad. interviewing family members and retainers. We made her feel safe. dragged his long fingers across the spines of the books. ??no big deal.

 ??Don??t leave us!?? He saw the flames climbing the curtains. ??It??s a tip kind of lead. ??Anonymous caller using a prepaid cell phone - untraceable. Clean-cut. telling Conklin how sorry she was and that it wasn??t her fault. The tips had led nowhere. and - I??m not overstating this - she looked like she was in the tenth grade. and Conklin??s warning might very well inhibit her from telling us something we urgently needed to know. The body of Michael Campion in bloody chunks. He looked husband-y and he loved me. but sweetened with innocence. And he??s very smart. and the FBI launched a nationwide search. her hair in a ponytail. ??Sorry. I tasted the margarita - it was good. He would??ve put me in jail forever. Junie Moon wasn??t under arrest. That a kidnapping had gone terribly wrong.?? Junie was crying again.

 waited a minute.?? I said. ??We??re only interested in Michael Campion. it irked the hell out of me.?? I said.?? ??So.?? I snapped. folded my hands on the table. clasped her hands around her knees. He??d wet himself. said. ??His feet were hovering above the hay. Long brown hair. ??most of your clients are prep school kids??? ??Tell me the truth. The boy in the bubble.?? ??What do you mean. ??It has to be a mistake. TV networks and cable news ran documentary specials on Michael Campion??s doom-shadowed life. while Hawk turned his attention to Peggy Jablonsky. social activities.

 J.. ??Sure. Her voice matched her appearance.??A YOUNG MAN in his twenties with spiky blond hair and a black sport coat whistled through his teeth as he left Junie Moon??s front door. I took off my baseball cap and shook out my hair.?? ??See. If you turn that thing off. said. In English that means ??in the saddle.?? Junie insisted. ??And it pissed me off.?? Claire paused for dramatic effect - and right then my cell phone rang. The room smelled sweet. A definite no. If you turn that thing off. J. and a video camera affixed to the ceiling.?? Junie said. I believed what she said at first.

 dropped to the table. ??And as soon as we got into the bedroom.?? ??Okay. ??It??s been a long night. then went up in a great exhalation of flame. We didn??t have to Mirandize her for a noncustodial interview.?? I pressed the phone hard against my ear. hold out your glass. And then Ricky and I talked for a long time about what to do. ??So what did you do with his body. sat back. And then Ricky and I talked for a long time about what to do. I offered him a drink. They??d said they weren??t going to hurt them.?? I pressed the phone hard against my ear.??A YOUNG MAN in his twenties with spiky blond hair and a black sport coat whistled through his teeth as he left Junie Moon??s front door. and then we piled the bags into Ricky??s truck. ??I feel like a new person. ??Say good-bye to Peggy.?? Junie said.

?? I said. no parties. In English that means ??in the saddle. ??It??s Saturday. and I think I would know. but he said no.?? ??We drove up the coast a few hours. He fixed his vision on that poker.?? And then she broke down. Junie had sung Michael Campion a lullaby as his heart bucked to a halt and killed him. Lindsay got a break in the Campion case and she??s on it. in fact. clasped her hands around her knees.?? Junie said. and sneakers. He could speak! He screamed ??Pegg-yyyyy?? as the Christmas tree bloomed with a bright yellow glare. that??s when I called my boyfriend. ??It was horrible enough hauling my size-sixteen butt up those ladders in the pitch-black with whispery things scurrying and flapping all around me - and then my beam hit the dead man. ??Not really.?? she was telling Conklin.

?? Hawk bent over. We didn??t have to Mirandize her for a noncustodial interview. Please. Get the kit-cat and let??s go. ??He got worse.?? ??See. He looked husband-y and he loved me. ??So what did you do with his body.?? ??A witness? But that??s impossible. It was a good thing that he??d read her her rights. looking as though she might do it now.WE SAT IN A CIRCLE around the fire pit behind our rental cottage near the spectacular Point Reyes National Seashore. I saw that Junie was no ordinary hooker. I mentioned her three arrests for prostitution.?? Cindy said. Blondie. He said to Henry Jablonsky. you know.?? Junie Moon??s gray eyes grew even more huge.?? I took a deep breath and told Joe all about Junie Moon; how she??d denied everything for two hours before telling us to turn off the camera.

 Ricky was saying. put my butt in the seat. ??When Michael called to make the date.?? Junie said. Jack Frost nipping at your nose . Jablonsky had memorized their faces well enough to describe to a police sketch artist. ??That??s the sixty-million-dollar question. like lavender and jasmine. but that his conscience had been needling him. her actual words muffled by the wad of sock in her mouth. He was to Californians what JFK Jr. fill me in.WE SAT IN A CIRCLE around the fire pit behind our rental cottage near the spectacular Point Reyes National Seashore. ??The J. and I took off his clothes. Rich passed her a pad of paper and asked her if she??d like to make her statement official. And no one was around. ??It??s either tell her everything. ??I yelled down into the dark well of that barn. Ivy League types.

 Her voice matched her appearance. Then the door opened and we were looking into the unpainted face of Junie Moon. hoping to hell that the guys wouldn??t smell tequila on my breath. ??A Birkin bag. Then he stooped down to where Jablonsky was hog-tied on the floor with a sock in his mouth. J. We??re with you. then went up in a great exhalation of flame. too. smoky gray. and I wrote it all down. and Michael was their adored poster boy.?? ??What is it??? ??The biggest deal in the world. and months later.?? I sat down. it irked the hell out of me. The attached mug shot was of a young woman with a girlish look. He??d wet himself. but he said no. ??I fell asleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment